Closed back headphone recommendations, suggestions and all round advice (£200 - £500)
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Steve Guppy

100+ Head-Fier
So, to all my fellow Head-Fi'ers. Looking for my 1st pair of over-ear closed back headphones, and am basically open to any help, advice and suggestions as to which to try, based on your own personal experiences and likes, for whatever reasons.

I listen to a wide range of music, from Pearl Jam to The Prodigy, from Jay-Z to Mumford & Sons. I would say my two most listened-to genres are EDM and Hip Hop, so good bass is a must. I don't necessarily want overblown all-or-nothing bass, a la Beats stylee, but a certain weight is important.
But not at the sacrifice to good mids and clear highs.
I listen to predominantly FLAC files, some 16bit, some 24bit, and DSD, so source quality isn't an issue.

Nor is power, as i have a couple of amps putting out plenty through 2.5mm and 3.5mm outputs. But no 4.4mm or 6.3mm only, unfortunately.

The headphones i personally have shortlisted so far are:
Beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro (mixed reviews)
Denon AHD5200EM (again, mixed reviews)
Audio-Technica ATH-SR9 (literally no reviews!)
Shure SRH1540 (worried about those mmcx connectors)
Thieaudio Phantom
Sennheiser HD 660 S
A detachable cable is a must really. The last two are curve balls, because, although i stated closed-back, im open to suggestions for open-back.
I also realise the Thieaudio are planars, and i believe that dynamic's are supposed to have a lower sub-bass range, which I'd like ideally, but again, im happy to be guided by others advice and experiences.

Hope this provides enough information, and feel free to say or ask anything

Many thanks

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Aeon Flow Closed should be on your list. It's a great headphone. Detachable cable, tunable sound signature with in-cup filters, impeccable build quality, and they look awesome.

The open version is my current end-game headphone if that helps.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Aeon Flow Closed should be on your list. It's a great headphone. Detachable cable, tunable sound signature with in-cup filters, impeccable build quality, and they look awesome.

The open version is my current end-game headphone if that helps.

Thanks a lot. Not a brand ive even considered, basically because i thought all their models were super high-end, but I'll have a look for sure.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Seen Fostex TH610 for around the £500 mark. They look gorgeous but soo few actual reviews. What Hi-Fi (is that a swear word round these parts?... :p) gave them a terrible review, and the DT 1770's a great one, yet I've seen the complete opposite elsewhere. Makes it very difficult to make a start with something ..

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 13
For edm and hip-hop, imaging to hear the little mathematically fitted rhythmed hidden details are important equally to the bass.

Finding a closed planar would give bass and also help not disregard the little details in songs like from 2pac.

I use my Audeze lcd-xc for those genres. You can eq for better bass, since these fazors won't distort.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 13
The headphones i personally have shortlisted so far are:
Beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro (mixed reviews)
I was really unsure about these since they had mixed reviews.
But I got them, and I can agree to some reviews that, out of the box, the have to much bass that gets a bit into the mids.
But I liked them anyway, so started to look for some modding and find several threads.
What changed them the most for me was to cover the ports seen here with some black tack. Reduced the bass some and they are now perfect to me (also made some other mods).

edit: I got the 1770 for my rap/hip hop sessions. But I use them for everything now!

I actually enjoyed them so much that I’m considering selling my DT 1990.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 13
But I got them, and I can agree to some reviews that, out of the box, the have to much bass that gets a bit into the mids.
But I liked them anyway, so started to look for some modding and find several threads.
What changed them the most for me was to cover the ports seen here with some black tack. Reduced the bass some and they are now perfect to me (also made some other mods).

edit: I got the 1770 for my rap/hip hop sessions. But I use them for everything now!

That's why i thought I'd turn to the good members of Head-Fi. I knew I'd get a more rounded opinion, rather than that of just one reviewer.
It's actually not the bass so much I'm worried about (i use iem's, and have some that are very bassy), more the treble. But I'm a long time Neutron user, and i do love a bit of PEQ tinkering, so im guessing i could tame the treble this way?

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 13

And I'm still really tempted by the 1770's.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 13
For edm and hip-hop, imaging to hear the little mathematically fitted rhythmed hidden details are important equally to the bass.

Finding a closed planar would give bass and also help not disregard the little details in songs like from 2pac.

I use my Audeze lcd-xc for those genres. You can eq for better bass, since these fazors won't distort.
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I'm still not ruling out some good planars, but have recently read that they just don't reach the sub-bass frequencies of a good DD?
Btw, those Audeze's are GORGEOUS, but are more than double my budget mate!.. :'(

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 13
Screenshot_20200206-113022_eBay.jpg

Any opinions on these? That seems a very tempting price, but always a bit wary on buying from eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back