Closed Back Headphone Recommendation (Comfort, Sound Isolating, Sound Quality)
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

themadman

New Head-Fier
Hello Friends,

I am looking for recommendation on a good pair of closed back headphones to be used with my computer. I have two young children so there is a lot of sound from their play in the house, and is causing me a lot of just sound fatigue. I want to encourage their talking to each other and their joy of narrating while they play, I also just want some quiet sometimes.

The main pair of headphones I currently wear are either the Hifiman HE-4XX or Sennheiser HD650, but both of these are open back and provide very little sound isolation. I have a pair of Hifiman HE-R7DX and I found them quite comfortable, but are not particularly sound isolating either.

So, in terms of importance

1. Comfort - I need to wear these all day
2. Sound Isolation - Pretty much what none of my current headphones does well
3. Sound Quality - Honestly the least important, but decent quality would be nice

If anyone has any thoughts on a pair of headphones that would meet my specific set of requirements, I would appreciate it!

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you considered iems?

If you're averse, DCA makes some of the most comfortable headphones. Another one (though only available used) is the AudioQuest NightOwl. Having only owned the NightHawk, I can't speak to isolation, but comfort is outstanding. These lean dark and warm, easy to listen to and wear for hours.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 13
Thank you for your suggestions. I have considered IEMs. I own some relatively inexpensive ones.

Main problems with them (at least the ones I own) are

1. I listen to things at relatively low volumes and I tend to hear some hissing with all of them. I am pretty sensitive to hissing/static sounds. They are mostly driven by either my Schiit Magni2/Modi+ or GoXLR. Not sure if that's the issue.

2. Their cables tend to be thin and expensive and easily damaged by accidents/children/pets. For my desktop computer, I rather have over the ears headphones.

As for DCA, they seem quite expensive and all my current headphones are comfortable! They just don't really isolate sound very well. I could be chasing something unattainable, but I figured I would float the question in case there is a product that solves my specific situation.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 13
The most isolating pair I've had is the Hyperx Cloud Orbit made with Audeze planar 100mm drivers and a removable mic by Shure. On eBay you can find them about $100-$125 and the memory foam is extremely comfortable, includes onboard DAC and amp, and the default and flat profiles sound really good. I can't stress how well the memory foam works and isolates, you can hear a smoke detector go off, but not much else.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 13
ETA Mini Closed

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Some additional suggestions that I think would probably meet the comfort/isolation requirements are the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X, Sony MDR-1AM2, Focal Elegia, and the Meze 99 Classic/Noir. Tonality-wise...not so sure about, but yeah lol.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Regular closed-back headphones can only do so much in a noisy environment. Maybe consider a decent set of noise cancelling headphones like the Sony XM5 if you truly want your kids to do their thing unimpeded while you listen to your music.

I have a (cheaper, with vastly inferior noise cancellation) set of Anker Soundcore Q35 ANC headphones, and there have been times that my wife and/or son have had to come over and tap me on the shoulder to get my attention.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Noise canceling are better for steady sounds -- air conditioner, subway roar -- than for intermittent ones like enthusiastic kid talk. I have the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X and they're pretty hermetic with musical sound. You're treble sensitive, and other Beyers have a reputation for treble peaks, but all the info and reviews say the 700 Pro X have tamed those peaks.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Hello Friends,

I am looking for recommendation on a good pair of closed back headphones to be used with my computer. I have two young children so there is a lot of sound from their play in the house, and is causing me a lot of just sound fatigue. I want to encourage their talking to each other and their joy of narrating while they play, I also just want some quiet sometimes.

The main pair of headphones I currently wear are either the Hifiman HE-4XX or Sennheiser HD650, but both of these are open back and provide very little sound isolation. I have a pair of Hifiman HE-R7DX and I found them quite comfortable, but are not particularly sound isolating either.

So, in terms of importance

1. Comfort - I need to wear these all day
2. Sound Isolation - Pretty much what none of my current headphones does well
3. Sound Quality - Honestly the least important, but decent quality would be nice

If anyone has any thoughts on a pair of headphones that would meet my specific set of requirements, I would appreciate it!
I find the ZMF Atticus to be a close match to my HD6xx, but with a little extra clarity, depth, and quite a bit wider soundstage.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Hello to everyone!
I am a new headfier too, and I would like to add my two cents for your matter dear madman.
As others above have mentioned, I also believe you won't succeed 100% isolation, especially with your loving kids playing around.
But you could succeed something around 70% with a lot of closed backs, one that was mentioned above is Meze Classics 99, which is not expensive, it isolates decently and it has a sound quality that -for your needs- I think it would be more than enough.
I see you have already a headphone amplifier from Shiit which would drive them nicely, I think.
Furthermore, I don't know what kind of computer you are using, but (as I am an Apple fan) I would suggest to go for a MacBook.
For a lot of reasons, and most of all, it would fill all the criteria that you mentioned on your first post.
You just need to purchase an Apple AirPods pair, it doesn't matter if it is the 1st or 2nd generation.
Ideally though the AirPods Pro 2 is exactly what you need. First of all, no cables for the kids to mess around.
Second, One of the best isolation and cancelling sounds at the market at this moment, very comfortable too.
And of course, with a special sound, not to mention Apple Spatial Audio and the rest.
It fills all of your criteria: 1. Comfort 2. Isolation 3. Sound
This is my experience, and I hope you find something that you make you happy!
Cheers mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back