Closed back headphone - over/around ear recommendations
Feb 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tommarra

100+ Head-Fier
All,

Looking for closed back headphone recommendations, that have minimal leakage.

My budget is flexible but would be good to cap it at 500-600.

Source will primarily be an iPhone 7 either directly or through an AMB Mini 3 headphone amp if needed.

I have owned DT1350 in the past whichever h sounds very good but is very uncomfortable - hence thinking an around the ear design might suit better.

As a reference my critical listening cans are Beyer T1, which are very comfortable but I can't use them in the office due to open back design. Would be great to have something with similar fidelity.

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 5
All,

Looking for closed back headphone recommendations, that have minimal leakage.

My budget is flexible but would be good to cap it at 500-600.

Source will primarily be an iPhone 7 either directly or through an AMB Mini 3 headphone amp if needed.

I have owned DT1350 in the past whichever h sounds very good but is very uncomfortable - hence thinking an around the ear design might suit better.

As a reference my critical listening cans are Beyer T1, which are very comfortable but I can't use them in the office due to open back design. Would be great to have something with similar fidelity.

Thanks!

If you can stretch your budget, you could get into a MrSpeakers AEON Tremendous bass, beautiful mids, and non-peaky treble with a decent sized soundstage for closed and lots of detail. Fairly portable as well. Comfortable. You should check it out. It's a beautiful headphone.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 5
I would consider the Alpha Prime headphones. 
There are a few ads of these headphones selling for $625-$675, if you are willing to stretch your budget a bit. 

I don't think I'll ever sell my pair, to be honest.  They provide great clarity, detail, soundstage, low-end w/just the right amount of thump, and vocals are incredibly realistic and revealing.  I can consider these headphones to be on the analytical/neutral side without being harsh in any spectrum.

The only drawbacks I can see are the size of them and possibly the weight, although I don't find myself bothered by either most of the time.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 5
My go-to over the ear office headphones are Audio-Technica's ATH MSR7s. I don't notice any sound coloring on their own, they yield nice detail and provide one of the best sound stages I've experienced. I can crank them up without disturbing my office mates or passengers seated around me on flights. In the office, on flights and around town, I usually amplify them with a little Cozoy Astrapi and fine-tune with the Onkyo HF Player. If you're a bass fan you'll want to pair the MSR7s with some sort of EQ. If you want true uncolored sound, they're perfect as is. The gun metal version is classy as heck and solid as a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back