Closed back headphone for commuting and also for DJing
Jan 3, 2013 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Peco

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Hi Guys[/size]

[size=medium]So I got my home listening setup sorted a while back and now need to replace my headphones that I use for djing.[/size]

[size=medium]I would like to spend £100 (don’t mind second hand) on a pair of closed back headphones.[/size]

[size=medium]Now I only need to use these for djing maybe 1-2 times a month, hence why I don’t want to spend too much money on them.  But seeing as I need to buy them I may aswell get a pair of headphones that I can use when im out and about as i like a change from my IEM’s (which i will also be upgrading too as these will be my main headphones I use when im out).[/size]

[size=medium]Music I listen to is mostly EDM – Techno, Drum and Bass, Deep house[/size]

[size=medium]Cheers[/size]

[size=medium]Peco[/size]

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 11
There is a number of options here, theres the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, is a really great headphones and one the most popular here on Head-Fi, now if you buy them new they go for about 150 pounds but i think you can probably find some second hand for under a 100 on ebay.

And then there's the Shure SRH750DJ which currently has a price drop on Amazon UK from 132 to 92 pounds, a really good deal and probably the one i would go with (there was only one left when i looked), if you miss the deal there's also it's little brother the SRH550DJ which also has a price drop from 89 to 66 pounds.

All of these are pretty great headphones, if i had to say which i think sound best i would say the HD 25, i only said i would go with the SRH750's because i'm always a bit scared of shopping on ebay.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 11
I should have been more specific in my original post

basically im looking for a pair of closed headphones around the £100 ($150) range that can also be used to mix with.

I guess the only prerequisite for the dj side of things is that they are sturdy so they can handle being cupped in one ear.

They will be used mainly as my commuting headphones every day so its much more important to have things like isolation, sound quality over 'dj friendly' features, as these are only going to be used 1-2 times a month max for dj use.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 11
There are all very sturdy and built to last, they all isolate pretty well, and they all also sound really good. A headphone with "DJ friendly" features is just a headphone which isolates well (so they can hear what they're a making) and maybe with a slight emphasis on the low end of the spectrum and on some can swivel it's earcups, some of the fancy ones even make it so that it sends mono sound to both ears but thats rare. Overall they're not that different from normal headphones.

Also I think the HD 25 is the only one which can swivel it's ear cups but you can put the Shures behind the ear just fine.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 11
The HD25 is ultra durable, but I can't say it's comfortable for long use. It clamps tightly and the sparkly treble lends toward fatigue. If you mix very bright dubstep, I wouldn't recommend those. Have a look at the AKG K167 or TMA-1 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 11
HD25, for sure. Seriously durable, I might have tried to break these several times over a couple of years. Treble is excessive, but kinda obscured by the midbass. The earpads are kinda tight, though I never felt the headband itself.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 11
The Vmoda M80 are amazing for the price and they are very well built and they isolate lots of outside noise. The other headphones like Klipsch Image One, Sony XB800, P5 and Harmen Kardon BT are recommended.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Managed to get a pair of Ultrasone pro 750 second hand for £120

Ultrasone looked like one of the best for edm after reading though this forum

Thanks for the help, look forward to reviewing them next week

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Managed to get a pair of Ultrasone pro 750 second hand for £120

Ultrasone looked like one of the best for edm after reading though this forum

Thanks for the help, look forward to reviewing them next week

Nice! I recently bought my second pair (sold the first). They're great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back