Closed back grado's
Feb 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

768 mph

New Head-Fier
I know that sealing grado's sounds stupid, however I think that there may be something there. If you don't believe me take a piece of duct tape and put it over the back of your headphone. It increases bass, and increases clarity

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I know that sealing grado's sounds stupid, however I think that there may be something there. If you don't believe me take a piece of duct tape and put it over the back of your headphone. It increases bass, and increases clarity

You might be better off with the cushion-tape mod than trying to put something over the back.  It reportedly has the same effect, but keeps the open sound.

Take the duct tape and wrap it around the circumference of the L-cushion.  It will increase the bass:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 8
I am not really worried about keeping it open, I have tried the cushion mod and it does not seem as effective. The tape on the back acts like a dampener and it doesn't sound like ****

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 8
Yea, our ears don't work the same way. 

This destroys bass. 

Covering the cups with your hands is a nice way to extract decent detail from music with a wooly or overblown bottom end though. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 8
It does need a bit of tweaking, I agree. I don't think that we should rule it out though. I think it has some potential.

Duct tape doesn't have the best musical qualities either

Remember this is a quick test. It takes maybe 5 minutes to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back