Closed back, comfortable, headphones with great sound which do not break easily? Budget 500$
Nov 30, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 38
Oh yeah, confused xlr and rca, lols. 

Balanced headphones look a lot cooler though. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
They require a balanced amp to work.  Instead of a stereo plug on the end of the cable, they have two XLR connectors.  Looks like this:

Not really an ideal choice for someone new to headphones - balanced amps aren't cheap and you probably won't notice a significant difference over the stock cable.

So it's the cheaper ones I want if those are the actual headphones I'm going to get?

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #33 of 38

Quote:

So it's the cheaper ones I want if those are the actual headphones I'm going to get?

Yeah, unless you also want to pony up an extra $400+ for a balanced amp.  The normal PRO 900 needs an amp as well, but you can use any number of sub-$100 portable amps with it.  The PA2V2, Nuforce Icon Mobile, or Fiio E11 have all been recommended.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #34 of 38

Quote:
Yeah, unless you also want to pony up an extra $400+ for a balanced amp.  The normal PRO 900 needs an amp as well, but you can use any number of sub-$100 portable amps with it.  The PA2V2, Nuforce Icon Mobile, or Fiio E11 have all been recommended.

Sounds great and more valuable:) I'm thinking the ultrasone pro 900 + pa2v2 or Audinst HUD MX-1. How big a difference will it be between pa2v2 and Audinst HUD MX-1? I will probably run the Audinst HUD MX-1 on batteries while at work.

Also if you have any other headphones to recommend don't hesitate.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #35 of 38

Quote:
Sounds great and more valuable:) I'm thinking the ultrasone pro 900 + pa2v2 or Audinst HUD MX-1. How big a difference will it be between pa2v2 and Audinst HUD MX-1? I will probably run the Audinst HUD MX-1 on batteries while at work.

The HUD would probably work just fine since it's smaller, more portable sibling, the AMP-HP, has also been recommended with the PRO900.  I haven't heard either amp or the Ultrasones though, so I couldn't tell you which would be better.  My suggestion would be to look for reviews to see if there are any deal-breakers in features or sound signature.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #36 of 38
I just got the Denon 5000's. While listening @ 80 db the outside noise bleed was exactly between 30-40 db.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #37 of 38

Quote:

The Audinst MX-1 doesn't have batteries in it, just so you know.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #38 of 38
I am really being blown away by my new Denon AH-D5000 cans. They are very musical and involving while being very accurate through the whole spectrum. Just like other posts that say you can throw anything or genre at them and love it. I am really back into listening with them and I have put aside the Grado for a while but I will keep both for variety. I am glad I didn't go for the 7000 because I would want them balanced and need a different amp then plus upgraded source probably. These are the perfect sound and performance I thought I would never hear. I go as far as they sound about as good as my Krell/B&W N802 system and they are 1/40th the price, WOW that is sick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back