Closed back cans
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JamesCanada

100+ Head-Fier
Good morning,
I've been at this hobby for 3 years now and i'm starting to understand my needs a bit better.
I settled down with my amp/dac combo that I enjoy and will keep for a while.
Now that I am settled on those parts I'm looking to spend between 1000 to 1500 for a set of closed back cans.
I would like your suggestions.

I will be selling my gear ( HD 6XX, Emu-Teak and a few more) to fund this new purchase.
I enjoy tight bass, wide soudstage. I mainly listen to classic rock and alt rock.

I have been eyeballing a few sets : Sony Z1R and Audeze LCD-2 Closed

Thanks for your time!

James

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 17
Though not totally closed ZMF Atticus and Eikons is a couple of others to look at. I love my Ether-C’s also.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 17
Either c’s seem like a decent choice, I migh try them out localy

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 17
I think the ZMF Atticus would be a perfect compliment to your HD800s.
Members who own the LP are reporting excellent results with all ZMF headphones.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 17
I have been reading that also, The only issue I have is that I can not try them on locally...
I guess I might have to go in blind.

Thanks for the input so far.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 17
The Atticus has a similar sound to the HD6xx,but better across the board. Tighter bass,better mids(glorious),smoother top end,yet equally revealing.
I wouldnt call the staging on the Atticus to be "wide" but youre not going to get a huge stage on many close backs. And theyre amazing with rock.
I just sold my pair to finance a ZMF Verite.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 17
The Audeze lcd2c closed is a great pair from what ive read and seen. However ive heard from people here it has a more neutral tone. Where as the open backed version is "warmer".

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 17
ZMF Ori / Zmf Atticus / ZMF Eikon

They are not totally closed, but pretty much and they isolate really well....sound stage is not huge, but they do not sound like closed cans to me.
The Ori is a planar headphone and I recently saw a used one sell here at the forums for just a tad over $400....that is a steal in my book!

Good luck in whatever you choose and enjoy the music.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 17
ZMF seems to be at the top of everyone's short lists.
That's good to know. I'm wondering if it will be a substantial upgrade from my Teaks, and I presume so.
Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 17
i'm starting to think because of recent youtube audio enthusiast channels reviewing ZMF and giving it lots of praise, that many people all of a sudden are recommending them. its a bit... lame to be honest lol. that doesnt mean ZMF can't make good headphones, not at all.
but i refuse to buy any headphone i can't demo at a shop. and ZMF isnt sold in any stores, its online only.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 17
but i refuse to buy any headphone i can't demo at a shop. and ZMF isnt sold in any stores, its online only.

I hear you loud and clear on this one, I am also a bit iffy of dropping +- 2k CAD$ on a pair I can't even try out.
That being said, If I find someone that owns a pair local, I might try them on, but chances are I will probably purchase from a local store.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 17
I hear you loud and clear on this one, I am also a bit iffy of dropping +- 2k CAD$ on a pair I can't even try out.
That being said, If I find someone that owns a pair local, I might try them on, but chances are I will probably purchase from a local store.
yeah, 2k CAD is deep. i just ordered online my A&K SR15 DAP from Vancouver BC to where i live in Montreal QC. and im glad id ont have to pay the sales tax we have here lol the tax in BC is like 50$ but in Montreal its like... 200$ ish xD i mean the player itself is already 1k :X

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 17
i'm starting to think because of recent youtube audio enthusiast channels reviewing ZMF and giving it lots of praise, that many people all of a sudden are recommending them. its a bit... lame to be honest lol. that doesnt mean ZMF can't make good headphones, not at all.

Perhaps you watched one of my ZMF reviews on my Youtube Channel where I highly recommend ZMF? Perhaps not.
Heres the deal. ZMF is a boutique headphone maker. Theyre each made by hand,as opposed to the Sennheiser,Beyers,HiFiMans of the headphone world. Because of this business model, they dont mass produce pairs ahead of time and ship them out to local stores and hope that they sell. No. You order a pair,they receive the order,and then build them. They also come with a lifetime warranty on the drivers,which is huge IMO.

Your best bet is to attend a local head-fi meet or a CanJam and hear them for yourself,otherwise buying "blind" is pretty much your only option.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 17
yeah, 2k CAD is deep. i just ordered online my A&K SR15 DAP from Vancouver BC to where i live in Montreal QC. and im glad id ont have to pay the sales tax we have here lol the tax in BC is like 50$ but in Montreal its like... 200$ ish xD i mean the player itself is already 1k :X

Oh I understand all too much, I'm from Montreal also!!

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 17
Perhaps you watched one of my ZMF reviews on my Youtube Channel where I highly recommend ZMF? Perhaps not.
Heres the deal. ZMF is a boutique headphone maker. Theyre each made by hand,as opposed to the Sennheiser,Beyers,HiFiMans of the headphone world. Because of this business model, they dont mass produce pairs ahead of time and ship them out to local stores and hope that they sell. No. You order a pair,they receive the order,and then build them. They also come with a lifetime warranty on the drivers,which is huge IMO.

Your best bet is to attend a local head-fi meet or a CanJam and hear them for yourself,otherwise buying "blind" is pretty much your only option.
I havent seen your youtube channel, but i'll take a peek now :)
its true they are a boutique headphone maker, that being said, MrSpeakers was a boutique headphone maker/modder at first, but now due to popularity and demand have moved to more store production levels. im able to buy MrSpeaker on amazon, in local audio shops very easily.
If ZMF follows that suit, then im sure more would be available to demo at local shops. unfortunately in my city audio festivals are rare to come by :frowning2: and our audio enthusiast community is very small indeed.

I'm afraid to buy blind when its gambling with thousands of dollars, im aware some people in this hobby dont mind and thats their choice. but most maybe 80% of people here wont buy blind. everyones hearing is different so people may not like what they bought blind and become sour with this type of hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back