Closed Back Cans for about $150
Feb 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
I tend to listen to indie rock and acoustic-y singer/songwriter music.  The occasional jazz.  In addition to the 650s, I also have a set of Grado 125s and an AKG 240 Studio.  I have also owned etymotic 6p which I used to love (but lost).  Prior to the 650s, I had tried out the AKG 702, but found them to be a little cold (although I did not have a proper amp at the time -- I have since gotten the Little Dot MK IV).

I really love the 650s, although might prefer just a touch more treble (I am going to try tube rolling soon).

The closed back cans will be basically a backup for late night listening, maybe subway travel and home recording if I ever get back to that.

The Fischer/Brainwavz (which I'm guessing are basically the same) seem interesting, but I can't find where to buy them in the US?

The KRKs look interesting as well.

Do these take to amping?

The Brianwavz Hm5's preform amazing on acoustic music, very smooth headphones, you can buy them at amazon for 149.00 or mp4nation.com for 119.00, if they're still doing their special sale. Get the Brainwavz if you really enjoy the sound of your HD650, and no they do not need any source of amping, the HM5's and FA003 are extremely easy to drive, you can plug them straight into an ipod, the only benefit you get from amping them is a change in sound stage.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #18 of 22
OP -

I'd say forget the Fischer because they're nearly impossible to buy in the US.
(IME)

Some very good choices in the $150 or so price range are the Ultrasone 780, the ATH-M50,
the Shure 840, and the Sennheiser HD25 1 II.

All have their strengths and weaknesses, of course.
Read the reviews, listen to them if you can, look at images of them, 
make a measured decision, buy from a respected retailer with a 
good return policy.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #19 of 22
I ended up with the Brainwavz HM5.  After a month wait, I got them yesterday.  So far am very pleased with the sound.  They are big, but I don't mind wearing full size on the subway.  In the past have used in the subway Grado SR125s, AKG 240S and, most recently Senn HM650s.

The Brainwavz do isolate sound a fair bit -- obviously not complete and subway rumble is still present, but, unless it is egregious, it doesn't really interfere with the music.  

May be having a slight issue with buzzing, but am trying to figure that out -- subject of another thread.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
How much more must I say the AudioTechnica ATH-M50's >_<

Maybe because their sound isolation is not as good as some of us were lead to believe? And why try to end all discussion of the matter? Perhaps I've misconstrued, and you are just expressing your enthusiasm for the M50's?

The OP's question is best sound isolation (and presumably SQ) given his budget and headphone amp.  The M50's fit the bill in some respects, but sound isolation may not be one of them. I have a couple of closed headsets with better sound isolation. I'll admit to owning the Senn PC-350, but not the other one. 
rolleyes.gif

Not that I hate the M50's. I still have my M50's, and I have no plans to get rid of them; but they are not the best thing since sliced bread. On the basis of other comments in this thread, I now know that I should give the FA-003's a try next. I like the Senn 650 sound, but might like something a little more neutral. I use closed cans at work, and maybe the FA-003's are the better call for there.

EDIT:  For whatever it is worth, it IS hard to find someone willing to sell you the FA-003's if you live in the U.S. The only online retailer that I could find is GD AudioBase . . . and the FA-003's are out of stock. 
confused.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 22

Quote:

Maybe because their sound isolation is not as good as some of us were lead to believe? And why try to end all discussion of the matter? Perhaps I've misconstrued, and you are just expressing your enthusiasm for the M50's?

The OP's question is best sound isolation (and presumably SQ) given his budget and headphone amp.  The M50's fit the bill in some respects, but sound isolation may not be one of them. I have a couple of closed headsets with better sound isolation. I'll admit to owning the Senn PC-350, but not the other one. 
rolleyes.gif

Not that I hate the M50's. I still have my M50's, and I have no plans to get rid of them; but they are not the best thing since sliced bread. On the basis of other comments in this thread, I now know that I should give the FA-003's a try next. I like the Senn 650 sound, but might like something a little more neutral. I use closed cans at work, and maybe the FA-003's are the better call for there.

EDIT:  For whatever it is worth, it IS hard to find someone willing to sell you the FA-003's if you live in the U.S. The only online retailer that I could find is GD AudioBase . . . and the FA-003's are out of stock. 
confused.gif

I'm not sure if it's been ascertained definitely that the Brainwavz HM5 and the FA-003 are the same headphone in different dress,
but if they are - Amazon has the Brainwavz in stock for 139 as of this evening.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back