Closed Back Cans around $1000
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xenoVa

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I am searching for closed back headphones. It will be used on-the-go with a DAP (probably iBasso DX200). Prefered sound signature is nothing but neutral.

Price is around $1k, because it is the last point where price/performance ratio is logical. After that, products hardly get any better but prices jump to crazy $3k $5k...

What are your suggestions ?

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 9
I have been doing the same search and finally chose Focal Elegia headphones. There are very mixed reviews on all closed back headphones. (Even more than on open back headphones). There are really only about 6 in this category that you specify. My list came down to Sony Z7M2 and Elegia. I ordered mine yesterday.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 9
AKG K872, Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation, Focal Elegia, MrSpeakers AEON Flow closed, Pioneer SE Monitor-5, no particular order. I suggest you read the individual forums, often there are comparisons with one or two in this list. I'm not sure about the Sony Z7M2 and 70 mm drivers (if it's stiff enough to avoid other resonance modes) but some people prefer it to the Elegia, others don't. Also prices vary depending on where you live (distributor, promotions, etc.) so the best bang for the buck may not always be the same. Obviously all of them are clearly overpriced headphones if you think that you can get a pair of Genelec 8030s or Adam A7X monitors for the same price.
Independently of tuning preferences, our ears are shaped differently and our perceived flat/neutral response may not be the same, if you wear glasses sealing may be better or worse depending on the clamping force and shape of the ear pads, affecting the bass response. Better try them.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Mar 15, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 9
If you are willing to go a bit over, or wait around to find a used copy, the ZMF Eikons are the best closed back cans I've ever used. Brand new they start at $1400, but I've seen them around $1000 used Personally I've found it's usually all or nothing with closed backs. Most of the stuff I've tried around the $500-$900 range tend to be pretty disappointing, so I usually tell people to either get a pair of affordable closed backs around the $100-$200 range as beaters, or to just pinch pennies and go all out.

The Eikon has a really nice sound signature, very solid mid range like the 650s, but with a bit more in the bass and highs. Overall a slightly warm of neutral tone. They have great subbass as well if you are into some more heavy tracks. They will need amplification, but they don't need ridiculous amounts of power.

There is also the option of the atticus, which is a bit cheaper, but your mileage may very on those. I listened to a pair and personally wasn't a fan, they sounded very veiled and even a little muddy to me, but I know some people who adore them, so do some research, read some reviews, and try them for yourself if you can.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Even though you are asking for a closed phone, there are a lot of variables you need to clarify. For example, most people choose to get a closed phone because they need the isolate the sound. Either from outside to in, inside to out, or both ways. Since you are considering to pair it with the DX200, I would assume you want to use it for on the go, which means you want isolation both ways.

In other words, you should give more details if you want suggestions that are more appropriate for your needs.

I just completed a search of my own. I only planned to purchase a closed phone for on the go use. I recently purchased the D9200 and I couldn't be happier. Its a little more than your budget but maybe there's deals out there that may bring it closer to your budget. I have to say that I never expected a closed that can be used as a portable sound this good. It has a signature that shines with many different genres.

Good luck with your search. :)

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 9
The Elegia isolates relatively well, is comfortable, is neutral for a closed-back, isn't fatiguing, and has the best resolution of any headphone I've ever heard. That would be my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back