Closed-back cans advice wanted: DT770/K271/A900/?...
Jul 13, 2005 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

SV_huMMer

100+ Head-Fier
Dear fellow head-fiers,

I am looking at adding a closed-back pair to my existing K501. So far, based on my budget (or what's left of it
lambda.gif
) and preferences, my search narrowed down to these three models. The problem is the following: while Bayers and AKGs are available in stores in Moscow, so I can go and listen to them, Audiotechnicas are not sold at all. So, if I go for them, I'll need to make a "blind puchase" by ordering them online, based solely of what I've read. So I am very interested in hearing your thoughts on:

a) A900 alone: are those good cans? How comfortable are they? Are cans large enough to accomodate an average (or slightly before average) ear? How would you describe their sound?

b) head-to-head (should I say ear-to-ear
wink.gif
) comparison of those three cans, if anybody had a chance to listen to them in one place.

c) did I overlook someting worth having a look at in the closed-back world?

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 23
A900 is huge.... good enough to fit any ears i ever seen. They are very comfortable(feel light, and the 3d wings are good). A900 is really recommanded if you dont have an amp and listen to pop(closed stronger bass)

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89
DT 660's from beyer are also close backed, and also are more efficient, so they are easier to drive. What other equipment do you have?

Thanks for the reply. I don't particularly fancy the construction and apparence of 660s. I have a Laconic tube headamp, and I am using either PC or my DVD player as a source.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EaglePower
A900 is huge.... good enough to fit any ears i ever seen. They are very comfortable(feel light, and the 3d wings are good). A900 is really recommanded if you dont have an amp and listen to pop(closed stronger bass)

Huge is good
smily_headphones1.gif
Mesa like it! But I do have an amp - means it will be even better?

Also, when compared to Audiotechnika's ATH-A1000, how does it stand? I mean, is there so much quality gap to compensate for over US170$ price difference between the two (Audiocubes' numbers)
confused.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV_huMMer
Huge is good
smily_headphones1.gif
Mesa like it! But I do have an amp - means it will be even better?

Also, when compared to Audiotechnika's ATH-A1000, how does it stand? I mean, is there so much quality gap to compensate for over US170$ price difference between the two (Audiocubes' numbers)
confused.gif

on my iPod, i cant tell the difference between a1000 and a900.... -.-!! i dont know which kinda of amp you got, but a900 requires special amps i think (ath ha-20?, ha2002? both of them are soild state, if you have a tube amp, i dont know.....), keep in mind a900 is 40ohm (or 32? forget, but pretty low) headphones. Its great to watch dvd.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 23
I have listened them head-to-head and own all. My findings:

DT770/80Ohm, useless bloated, mid-freq dip, bad highs. Really. Stay away. Only for bassheads that want volume, not definition.

K271s, refined and easy to listen to for longer periods. Not well extended in the lowest octaves or highs. Quite ok critical mid-band, but there is something there that I can't pinpoint which is not right. Can get sweaty on longer listens and may not be circumaural on bigger ears.

A900, most comfortable of the bunch by far. Bass is a tad mid-bass accentuated and does not extend very low. They are reverbant (i.e. colour the sound) and mid-frequency is not as ok as K271s.

From my POV: DT770=most overbloated bass, K271S most refined and best sonically for longer listenings, A900 most comfortable to wear and somewhat acceptable downgrade from K271s on some parts, but not on others, while offering more treble extension.

That's my two cents worth.

Jul 14, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
I have listened them head-to-head and own all. My findings:

DT770/80Ohm, useless bloated, mid-freq dip, bad highs. Really. Stay away. Only for bassheads that want volume, not definition.

K271s, refined and easy to listen to for longer periods. Not well extended in the lowest octaves or highs. Quite ok critical mid-band, but there is something there that I can't pinpoint which is not right. Can get sweaty on longer listens and may not be circumaural on bigger ears.

A900, most comfortable of the bunch by far. Bass is a tad mid-bass accentuated and does not extend very low. They are reverbant (i.e. colour the sound) and mid-frequency is not as ok as K271s.

From my POV: DT770=most overbloated bass, K271S most refined and best sonically for longer listenings, A900 most comfortable to wear and somewhat acceptable downgrade from K271s on some parts, but not on others, while offering more treble extension.

That's my two cents worth.

Halcyon, thanks a lot for such a detailed and informative comment!

Today I spent another hour in a store, to refresh my impressions about 770s and K271. Fully agree with your impressions - 770s are real bass hammers, and... and that's about it
frown.gif
Although, their quite comfortable.

K271s sound WAY better - more balanced, and "refined" - a word right on target! But I must be one of those "big-ear-fiers" hehe, so they are all but circumaural on my head.

Still looking for more impressions on closed-back ATHs.

Jul 14, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EaglePower
on my iPod, i cant tell the difference between a1000 and a900.... -.-!! i dont know which kinda of amp you got, but a900 requires special amps i think (ath ha-20?, ha2002? both of them are soild state, if you have a tube amp, i dont know.....), keep in mind a900 is 40ohm (or 32? forget, but pretty low) headphones. Its great to watch dvd.

Thanks for comments.

In your opinion, how big is the audible difference in sound quality? Does it justify an extra 170$???

What's the A1000 imdedance, do you know?

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 23
I haven't heard the the A1000 but if you do some searches you may find that people at head-fi say they are not worth paying the extra money for. I really like the A900 and prefer the A900 to the k271s, but I also agree with halcyon's comments. The A900 are not perfect and neither are the k271s. The A900 have more bass and are more comfortable than the k271s, but the A900 sound less refined. I prefer the A900 because I couldn't live with less bass. I'd like to find better closed, comfortable, full sized headphones but I don't think I can afford the expensive high end audio-technica's.

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 23
wow, the big-ear/271 issue has me a bit worried - as i was planning on doing a somewhat blind, but educated purchse this month. I think I'm still going to go for them - but i'll be sure of the return options from whoever i do end up purchasing from.

we should start team "big ears"

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend

we should start team "big ears"

LOL Let's do that!
smily_headphones1.gif
) No, really, I mean it
lambda.gif
I am quite new to the forum - can anyone form any team and just add it to the sig? Or does one need to register it somehow with the moderators?

TEAM BIG EARS... Yah, that's COOL!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 23
I just ordered A900's on monday night and audiocubes shipped them by the time I woke up on tuesday. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here as I'm extremely excited to hear them. I was also torn between the 271s and the a900 but with the $14 off the a900 right now I decided to go for it(when I'm tired at the computer I generally just buy stuff without thinking too much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back