Closed-back alternative to Sennheiser HD600 ?
Jan 4, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 17
A few hours in:
The sound is the most accurate when the headband is at its tightest, or set to a max height position of 2 or 3. I don't crank headphones much, so the HD600 performs better at sounding nice while quiet. I need to get used to the closed-back feel of the AKG, I think that's what's confusing my mind about its frequency response because I am not used to hearing my heartbeat as opposed to the ambience of my room. For monitoring they are really good. It's true that they may not isolate as much, but it's just perfect for my use. I've tracked some guitars with them and that really opened my eyes about open-back headphones, like the HD600, just being absolutely unusable for recording purposes.

I was also looking at the Shure SRH440 or Shure SRH840, but many, if not all people, say they don't come close to the accuracy of the AKG K371.

But what I have been thinking about is swapping the AKG K371 for the AKG K361, but I don't know what I'm in for. I wish the K371 was a little bit more low-mid forward to accentuate some of the detail of lower tuned instruments and I don't think I would get that out of the K361 anyway. Some mentioned the seal is better on the K361 but I have no idea how they would differ in any way from the K371, since they have identical earpads construction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back