Closed - ATH-ESW9A vs K271 MKII
Sep 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lescanard

100+ Head-Fier
I have a very specific use for a great set of closed phones and I'm ready to upgrade from my Senn 280s. I use them specifically as phones that seal in and out - (i.e. listening in bed with my laptop or ipod so my wife isn't bothered by my tunes).

I absolutely love my current set-up - specifically my k701s through my d10 and LD mkIII - out of my Macbook (Lossless). Truly my most favorite setup and my choice when I can sit and critically listen and enjoy. I love my Grados as a change of pace - and listen to them through my d10 often as well. My favorite sound though comes from the AKGs.

This led me to want to upgrade the 280s - I really don't care for them anymore. Since I love the k701s I really thought the k271s were what I needed for my closed set. I read up and think they are the sound I'm looking for. However - I rarely (if ever) think I will amp these things - and the more I read about the k271s the more I wonder if un-amp'd they will really be a huge upgrade from the 280s. That led me to the ESW9As - they sound as though they will perform wonderfully as closed and un-amp'd. I have never heard them and knowing I love the k701s and Grado 325is' I wonder if they would be a good choice. Any opinions on this?

I understand an amp makes anything sound better - but I'm looking for good to great closed cans that work wonderfully without an amp. My musical tastes are Roots Rock, Acoustic Folk, Blues, Alt Rock, etc. Thanks Head-fiers!

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 11
I absolutely love the ESW9As. I have the D10 and the HF2s. Still love the ESW9s with all the genres you mentioned. I also use this as my closed can for listening in bed while my wife is working or listening to TV. They are not the ultimate isolation cans, but my wife does not complain and they sound great. The mid range is really nice and the bass is also very good for such a small can. The other factor is that the small cable is easy to deal with in bed. I mainly listen with the D10 over Airport Express in bed. If you like the Grado sound (I also owned 225s previously), I think you would like the ESW9s.

You might also consider rolling the opamps in the D10. Just did that myself and also bought some blackgates which I will install in the next couple of days. The D10 thread is full of op amp rolling feedback.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks Mikenyc...I'm really liking the idea of the ESW9As...and I have recently started rolling opamps myself - what a blast.

Off topic but I own an Airport Express also (hooked to my Denon Receiver) - what's the setup you use through your d10 out of curiosity?

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm actually in the same dilemma, though I've owned the K 271 MK II in the past. I'm looking for a headphone to complement my K 702 (which I love), and my choice is between the ESW9A and the 271 (again... got rid of it after I thought I wasn't going to get my student loans).

I listen to a wide variety of music, from punk and metal to bluegrass, classical, and jazz, and I found that the 271 (55 ohm impedance) sounded very good out of the limited sources I have (laptop, Denon CD player, Sony Walkman), in addition to my friend's Zune.

The 271 has a wide soundstage for a closed headphone, and like the the 702 (and 701, I'm assuming), its bass is on the lighter side, but tight and detailed--just right for me. Though I'm sure they would be different, if not better, with an amp, I was perfectly happy with it. Plus, I'm now a big fan of the midrange on the two AKGs I've owned, so if you like your 701, you shouldn't be disappointed.

I've read great things about the ESW9A, but have never heard it before, so I can't really make a useful comment. The only thing you may want to consider is that they're not circumaural, so they sit on your ears and will let sound in, though I've read that they don't let too much sound out. It seems like the ESW9A would have a warmer, more "fun" sound, and could be a better all-arounder for some people.

Since I like headphones that complement each other (I like to hear different sounds, get different experiences, etc. with different types of music), it sounds like I just answered my own question as to which one to get. My problem is that I will be sharing a house with 4 other roommates next term, and I need the isolation, so it will most likely be the 271 for me, again. Wooden headphones look so sexy, though... I have a feeling I'll end up purchasing both.
smile.gif

Good luck!

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Mikenyc...I'm really liking the idea of the ESW9As...and I have recently started rolling opamps myself - what a blast.

Off topic but I own an Airport Express also (hooked to my Denon Receiver) - what's the setup you use through your d10 out of curiosity?

The ESW9s are easy to recommend. Every time I come back to them I really like the sound.

A far as the D10 setup, I use it in a number of configurations. Such a flexible little device. Most of my listening is out of an iMac via optical listening to iTunes or Pandora One (well worth paying the extra for improved audio quality). I also listen to my D10 / ESW9s from bed where I have and optical connection via Airport Express. It is very close to my base station and I get very good performance. I do have minor issues with cutting out from my Airports in my kitchen and living room. I live in Manhattan so it is a very noisy environment for the wireless. Hope that helps.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 11
ktsai832, You are correct that the sound isolation on the ESW9s is not perfect, but they are pretty good. They leak almost no sound out. The isolation in is decent and they sound outstanding so the immersion also provides that extra little bit. I have 3 kids under the age of 6 running around my house and they work just fine for me. You seem to have a good read on these. Just comes down to personal preference.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ktsai832, You are correct that the sound isolation on the ESW9s is not perfect, but they are pretty good. They leak almost no sound out. The isolation in is decent and they sound outstanding so the immersion also provides that extra little bit. I have 3 kids under the age of 6 running around my house and they work just fine for me. You seem to have a good read on these. Just comes down to personal preference.

That is really what I was seeking - not necessarily as much a seal in - rather - a seal out as that is what I need (other than a great sound which is what both seem to have). Many thanks for the opinions on both - I've got some thinking to do.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 11
Be careful, the esw9's are have a significant sound signature than the k701.

It is a lot darker and very warm/round coloured. I love the K701's from what I've heard, I can't say the same for the esw9.
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 11
I think since you like AKGs house sound so much you should stick with what you like. The K271s are wonderful sounding headphones even unamped... I have the K701s too and I think the sound signature, while different in some ways, sound similar. What Im basically saying is that if you like the K701, get the K271, its kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 11
So anyway - I certainly appreciate the informed opinions from you guys. I decided to go with the k271 MKIIs and they are on the way. Ultimately, as I continue to listen, roll tubes, and find my way with the awesome variations in sonic bliss this hobby provides, I keep reaching for my k701s and truly know this is the sound that moves me. As I said - these cans will have a specific purpose - and I agree with Germancub that it has become a no brainer. I'm eagerly awaiting these phones - if they give me 1/2 the enjoyment that the k701s have given me I'll be very happy. Thanks all for the input and I'll probably try the ESW9As someday I suspect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back