Closed:ATH-ESW9 vs. HFI-780 vs. D2000
May 23, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Epicfailman

100+ Head-Fier
I got the Ultrasone HFI-780s and I am really happy with them so far. Thanks to all you guys who voted and posted your thoughts; it was a really hard choice to make.

Hey guys, I am going to college next semester so I need a good pair of closed headphones so as to not disturb my room mate. I like rock music mainly, and I play quite a few games and watch movies. My setup will either be:
laptop > Little Dot DAC > Little Dot I+ > Phones

or

laptop > compass > little dot (if it the compass makes a better preamp than amp) > phones

Which of these phone would you recommend?

May 23, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 22
I have all three and compared them. The Denon w/ MarkL mods and a pair of MarkL Bubinga wood cups is leaps and bounds over just about anything (IMO of course). Mine have a re-cable using silver plated copper by HiFlYin9. Next came the APureSound re-cabled HFI-780 sporting velour pads from a Beyerdynamic DT250/280. In third place the ESW9.

YMMV specially w/ tubes since the Denon prefers SS amps.

May 23, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 22
Bump. I really need some opinions guys. I don't wanna spend a ton of money flying blind. Thanks to you guys so far who have contributed. I very much like the audio technica sound signature. Do the ESW9s have that signature or not? Keep in mind I listen mostly to rock, so which phone would do best with rock? I have had a few people tell me that HFI-780s will be what I am looking for if I listen to rock, but I really want to confirm this before I jump and buy them.

May 23, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 22
I have both the ESW9s and the HFI-780s, and both are stock. I listen mostly to rock, metal and r'n'b. That said, I'm much more pleased with the forward (or aggressive) sound signature of the Ultrasones. For me, with my current setup, the bass on the 780s is much better, with more impact and their overall sound is more engaging for those genres. The ESW9s sound great, but they're a bit too laid-back for my taste. Of course, your mileage may vary.

May 23, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 22
when you say rock.......im asuming you want to listen to some awesome guitar riffs and some treble right? if your answer is yes then hfi780 is not what your looking for the mids are recessed bass is a little too heavy. guitars sound awesome on akg k702/sa5000 and ms2. they are open though. i also have the pro(lines) 750 and they are better in my opinion. much more balance and the clarity is there.

May 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 22
Yeah, I listen to stuff like Chevelle, Dragonforce, Hammerfall, Muse, a little bit of deathmetal...stuff like that. Obviously speed is a huge factor to me. I can't have headphones that can't keep up with those speed metal solos after all
tongue.gif

Almoxil, how do those two phone compare in terms of speed and punchiness?

Edit: Lutwey, I would love some open phones, but due to my situation, I am afraid I really cannot afford to have two pairs of open phones...otherwise my room mate will get angry at me when he is studying or doing homework.

May 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 22
The 780s surpasses the ESW9s in both criteria for me. The bass is much punchier, and the overall sharper presentation matches rock and metal better for my liking. Some bands I listen to: Chevelle, Incubus, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Dream Theater, Opeth, Tristania, Linkin Park, AC/DC, Porcupine Tree, In Flames, Lacuna Coil, Pearl Jam, Epica, Deftones, Faith No More, Stone Sour, Dave Matthews Band, Underoath... and some rap-rock/metal and R'n'B bands.

Keep in mind, though, that not everyone is fond of an aggressive sound signature. I, for one, prefer this kind of presentation.

May 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 780s surpasses the ESW9s in both criteria for me. The bass is much punchier, and the overall sharper presentation matches rock and metal better for my liking. Some bands I listen to: Chevelle, Incubus, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Dream Theater, Opeth, Tristania, Linkin Park, AC/DC, Porcupine Tree, In Flames, Lacuna Coil, Pearl Jam, Epica, Deftones, Faith No More, Stone Sour, Dave Matthews Band, Underoath... and some rap-rock/metal and R'n'B bands.

Keep in mind, though, that not everyone is fond of an aggressive sound signature. I, for one, prefer this kind of presentation.

Thanks Almoxil. Your music tastes are very similar to mine as I have quite a few of those bands in my library. Your input is most helpful.

May 23, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Almoxil. Your music tastes are very similar to mine as I have quite a few of those bands in my library. Your input is most helpful.

You're welcome.

May 23, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 22
I have all three but listen to other types of music. I really like the ESW9's because of their comfort. Sound is very good as well. The HFI-780's have great sound but can be uncomfortable after a while as they have a tight fit around your head.

Soundwise, for louder music anyway, I would probably rate them HFI-780, D2000, ESW9.
Comfort: ESW9, D2000, HFI-780.

May 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My 780 is on the way to my house now, I want to know D2 have enough power to push it with out amp?thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back