Closed & Around the ear Headphones for £250
Jul 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 7
For £250 you'll get headphones which will be pretty good - as for top dogs, those might be the Fostex TH-900 for £1500, hehe.

Try-

SoundMAGIC HP100
SoundMAGIC HP150 (new replacement for HP100)
Focal Spirit One
Sennheiser MM500-X (Bluetooth)
Sennheiser Momentum

Momentums might be good all-rounders, particularly if your music is encoded in lower quality - the better/more accurate the headphone, the better you'll hear the flaws. Momentums or HP100/150 I'd say.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 7
Just updated the thread title.

Around the ear, not on the ear.

My collection is high bitrate at least V0 VBR or FLAC.

Would your recommendations change?

I want something that stands out a little more on the treble side of things when compared with the SRH840's.

I want to notice the improvement.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 7
All the models I listed are over ear, Momentums do come in an 'on ear' style but there's also the circum-aural (over ear) version.

If you like a bit more top-end then the Focals might be worth a look, Spirit Ones are through their teething issues (driver problems) but the design is not friendly to those who like to repair (I speak from experience) - no way to recable through the headband!

The SoundMAGICs (HP100/HP150) are certainly bright enough without going overboard - look around on here, loads of good things are being said about them.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 7
I love my Soundmahic HP100s. They're not very bass heavy, though, so they won't be great for EDM or trance. That said, they can handle pretty much everything else you throw at them. They're also pretty comfortable. In terms of a comparison the Shure SRH 840, they have less bass, and are more neutral. This makes them seem a bit brighter in comparison. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Don't think i'll go with the HP100 since you and another guy have commented on the bass being light/less than the 840.

Now, i've heard a lot about the Focals.

Do you like the Focal Professionals? Are they airy in a good way or not at all?

I would like some space in them, sort of like an open headphone does. I know this is difficult to achieve, but does the focal go some way towards that sort of sound?

I know it's a really abstract description, but hopefully you can help anyway.

Thanks

P.S i've heard that they are like the NS10's....not sure i want something like that ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back