Closed All Arounders
Jun 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jshnks

Head-Fier
  My girlfriend and i just recently moved in together and we dont have much space, we have decided to turn our second bedroom into a 'media' style room,
housing all of our computers and other gaming consoles. We both enjoy music and listen to alot of everything, from gaming OST's to classical, to jazz, rock
(mostly rock/metal) big band, blues.. you name it we listen to it. (i would also like to point out that we both prefer female vocalists) since we are buying for
the both of us, we would like to keep costs down, around 250-ish give or take 50 bucks each, un-amped (via xonar STX) Anyway, closed is the only option
as we are always listening at the same time, and we dont like to hear each others music while listening to something different!

I know there are alot of good closed cans out there, dt770's A900x Shure's etc etc, i have used a modded Allesandro MS1i before and loved it, i am just getting
overwhelmed with what a really good 'all around choice' would be that has good isolation as well. Oh, and also.. would be a huge plus to sit over the ears and not
on the ears, as it tires my ears out really fast if they sit on them. And these will be used everyday for gaming(not fps), music, well.. everything.

Thanks again,
Joshua.

Also, some noted bands to help out..

Muse
Pink Floyd
White Stripes
Radiohead
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Dick Dale
Diana Krall
Amy McDonald

ugh to many to list, but a generalization.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 19
Shure 940, Denon D2000 (though maybe not enough isolation for you) , Beyerdynamic 770 would all be good possibilities for you.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 19
  Yea the 3 i was looking into were the Shure's either the 940's or the 840's the newer AKG k550's and the Denon D2000's.. The Denons i know are out, they dont isolate well enough.
I've heard the DT770/Pro 80 before, they were decent, would the soundcard be enough to drive them tho?

Thanks again,
Joshua

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 19
I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT250 if looking for something easier to drive and more balanced than the DT770. The Shures are good too.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 19
I have the Denon D2000s and I have to recommend them above all others.

I have an STX driving them as well, which is actually an amp, too, and they sound phenomenal.  Especially with your music tastes, which align well with mine, they should shine.

A lot of people say that the D2000s don't isolate well and that they leak out sound... I don't know the explanation exactly but with my pair I have little issues with sound leaking in and absolutely NO issues with sound leaking out--no matter the music or the volume I listen at.  I've had my wife stand next to me and blasted music as loudly as I could stand and still she says she can't hear a thing.

My best hypothesis for that is that the seal of the cups on your head determines how much they leak; they happen to fit really well around my ears.  Some like the guys from InnerFidelity say that the last revision of the DX000 series changed a few things for the better, and maybe that's something they improved.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
My best hypothesis for that is that the seal of the cups on your head determines how much they leak; they happen to fit really well around my ears.  Some like the guys from InnerFidelity say that the last revision of the DX000 series changed a few things for the better, and maybe that's something they improved.

What revision is that?  I have a recent one and it has pretty poor isolation and a good amount of sound leakage; they may as well be open 'phones.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
What revision is that?  I have a recent one and it has pretty poor isolation and a good amount of sound leakage; they may as well be open 'phones.

Mine are so good at blocking sound from leaking that I'm consistently surprised by how many people say that.  I guess they are just an excellent match for my head.  I used to have Senn HD555s (modded to 595s) and even at a low volume my wife was always kicking my chair, nagging me that I was going to wake the baby in the next room.  Since I got the Denons she has been very pleased.

I'm not sure how to tell exact revisions on the Denons but apparently these are "2012" versions.  Maybe I can check on the box for a model number or something.

Regardless, I'm not 100% sure why my Denons do so well keeping sound from leaking out.  It could be something as simple as my house having louder than average ambient noise.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 19
  Well, i think i am about to pull the trigger on the AKG 550's Something is just drawing me to them.
And well that may not be the best way to choose, it is the way i am gonna go with! haha
thanks for all the input!

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 19
Denon D2000, Denon D7000, AKG K242HD, AKG K142HD, AKG K550 and STX owner here.

Denons leak way more then the AKG K242HD which are semi-open. and there are a few anomalies, but don't count on it. It is an amazing headphone.
Denons and STX is a bad match, the impedance mismatch causes  loss of clarity, and the JRC opamps suck, the bass is too much and its muddy. if you toss in THS4032 opamps in the IV section adn build a faux impedance decreasing adapter as explained in the link in my sig then its awesm.

I actually recommend the K242HD, they don't leak much, a lot less then the D2000, and the odds high you won't hear each others music. The reason I recommend it is because the STX can drive them, they have a big soundstage, and are cheap atm. They do take on the characteristics of whatever its plugged into! So with the stock opamps they actually sound alot like the D2000. But i highly recommend getting the THS4032 opamps for the IV section, its the best of all worlds. and its a budget combo with BIG BIG BIG sound. easily has more clarity then the D2000 even with an impedance adapter.

The K550 I just bought for my mom. Don't have any opinions yet, its still burning in. But I highly doubt they will best the K242 in soundstage.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 19
Denon DN-HP700 is just as good as Denon D2000 and costs far less and isolates a great deal better. Good allrounder with no very weak points other than the pads being a bit small, won't fit fully around ear for most people but the clamping force is very light and shouldn't cause issues.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 19
Wir3d, Would you say that 2 people sitting within 5 feet of each other, would be bothered by each others music with the K242HD's ? because thats what we are running into now with our grado/alessandro's

thanks again!

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Wir3d, Would you say that 2 people sitting within 5 feet of each other, would be bothered by each others music with the K242HD's ? because thats what we are running into now with our grado/alessandro's

thanks again!

I really dont think so, especially since they isolate quite well, and leak really minimally for a semi-open. I will test tonight and post to make sure

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Thanks wir3d!

i guess the best part of the K242HD is that amazon has them for $138 usd right now and the K272HD for $190 usd hrm, this might be the route to go.

K242 is the better choice. Its more rounded out from my research. But seriously if you do get them, go and buy the THS4032 opamps on ebay. Its worth it.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 19
I've never messed with Opamps, is this what i am looking for ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ths4032-Dual-Opamp-replace-OPA2604-TL072-NE5532-OPA2132-/320841219019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab3a07bcb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back