Close to buying Denon AH-D2000s, should I get an amp?
Dec 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

beachbum1212

New Head-Fier
So I listen to mostly modern rock, and in my $200 budget I have found that this is probably a good option. I'm sort of clueless as to amps though. If I did get one, it would need to be something small because I would be traveling with it, as well as not too expensive as I'm not the kind of person who would generally be spending $200 on headphones to begin with. (I know thats not alot to most of you, but i'm used to $20 peices of crap).
Thanks- James

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 17
The Denon D2000 is not by any means a traveling headphone. It's gigantic and somewhat fragile (read up the threads on the earcups falling off). You should probably look for something else because the D2000 by itself will take up almost half the space of your carry-on luggage and/or backpack.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D2000 is not by any means a traveling headphone. It's gigantic and somewhat fragile (read up the threads on the earcups falling off). You should probably look for something else because the D2000 by itself will take up almost half the space of your carry-on luggage and/or backpack.

In addition to the above which I agree with it might be good to know that they could become quite leaky if you listen at higher volume levels. Mind you they don't leak as much as closed cans but its something to be aware of. They don't have much of a clamping force and may easily fall off your head. I won't recommend these for traveling.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I had Denon D1000 previously, but they'll be staying on my head or around my neck most of the time, so i'm fine with the headphones themselves being somewhat bulky. The question is if i should get an amp or not for these headphones.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 17
Ok, I'm aware that for someone often going on planes and public transportation this would most likely not be a good choice. That is not the question I asked however, can anyone help me with my actual question?
confused.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 17
Some people have said they like them even w/o an amp, but the vast majority agree that an amp is essential to get them most out of these phones

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 17
The D2000 isn't the best choice if your primary listening is modern rock. It has a recessed midrange that doesn't work with all styles of rock. Works for some styles but not so well with others.

My preference for rock is a more forward midrange. Rock needs that more forward midrange for drive and energy. The midrange is where the guitars and vocals are.

You'll notice that many (most) of the people championing the D2000 and other Denon headphones don't listen to modern rock or metal as their primary genre. There's a good reason for that.

The D2000 also has a long cable that doesn't coil very well. Very inconvenient for portable use.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 17
For portable use, You should consider Grado Sr225i instead in the same price range,much lighter weight for traveling, and still provide at least same or better level of enjoyment in SQ, more importantly they are not so amp dependant
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonothon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know why everyone says that the d2000 needs an amp. i don't have them, but based on the specs it looks pretty easy to drive; its only 25 ohms
confused_face(1).gif

They require high voltage

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonothon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know why everyone says that the d2000 needs an amp. i don't have them, but based on the specs it looks pretty easy to drive; its only 25 ohms
confused_face(1).gif

They need current. Not all battery powered (or wimpy wall wart powered) amps and portables will deliver the current and power they need. Current drains batteries and devices designed to maximize battery life will likely not give them the current and power they need. They're also big and not highly efficient so they need enough power to make them loud enough. My iPod Classic barely gets them loud enough at 100% volume, and I would prefer to have them louder. I don't use my D2000 with my iPod, they're not a suitable headphone for that.

When underpowered the D2000 has a smaller soundstage, the dynamics are muted (transients are less sharp, there is less punch at the same volume level), bass doesn't go as low and is less controlled. The D2000 don't need a big amp or a fancy amp, but there is a minimum level of amplification needed to make them sound good. That minimum level is easy to achieve but most portables won't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back