Close listening, majorly for games, a little bit of music and moves. Swan M50W or M-Audio BX5a
Jul 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sa_ill

Head-Fier
I'm upgrading from my trusty 8 year old Sonic Gear Evo7, to a more refined sound. I'm not a basshead, but I do like deep extended bass sounds.

I sit about 1.5 feet from my monitor, and am considering the following options:

M-Audio BX5 ($275)
M-Audio AV40 ($170)
Audioengine A2+ ($270)
Audioengine A5+ (Used. 6 months old) ($365)
Swan M50W ($365)

I know the pricing sounds ridiculous, but that is how it is in India. These are considered as expensive imports and are heavily taxed.

I don't want to go for the BX5s if it is an overkill. 

I want speakers that have excessively good detail (amongst the three), clear mids (am a vocals-head) and solid, tight, deep extending bass.

I use an Asus Xonar Essence STX  (highly recommended) as my sound card, just FYI.

(Edit: Found someone who's willing to let go of his Audioengine A5+ for $365. Worth it?)

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd go for the BX5s.

A2+ do not have deep bass. In fact, the amp is tuned to add an upper midbass hump so as to make up for the poor low end response.

AV40s are not the same caliber as the BX5s.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 9
The BX5 was my first choice, but what concerns me about them is that they are monitors rather than speakers meant for pleasure. I have listened to monitors and I have to say that I'm not a fan of their flat response.

In the end, I want speakers that I can enjoy.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 9
check out these speakers too https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-4s . they offer international shipping now. 

The new Audioengine A5+ speakers ($399/pair) can't touch the airmotiv 4's clarity. That extends to the bass--the A5+'s bass definition is softer and looser than the airmotiv 4's.

http://www.cnet.com/news/emotivas-astonishing-desktop-speaker/

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for your recommendation. But it is clearly stated in the OP that the models mentioned are the only options available. 
redface.gif

I'm in India, I don't have the liberty for ordering from the US/UK and getting through customs. They'll charge a bomb. Plus I risk the product due to the ing shipping route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back