Close back under 200$ or 300$ if you convince me
Dec 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

raphups

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I chose this Christmas to give to my wife some headphones. She's been telling me for a couple years that it was something she always wanted because she loves music. I know she will be amazed because she uses apple's small earphones lol.

So I was on YouTube and I saw a review of the ath m50s and the guy said it was the best headphones he reviewed and I first thought, wow that was easy! I'll buy her these. But I'm not an impulsive buyer, far from that so I googled and found this great site. And it seems a lot of people don't like or think the m50s are so good.

The other thing I found was that it's going to be a really hard choice because it's huge world full of things I just learned today like closed or open back, noise cancelling or not. At least now I know approximately what I need:

-It needs to be under 200 or 300 if you convince me
-closed back
-noise cancelling is not mandatory(she won't use them in areas with steady noises)
-she's doesn't need something with huge bass
-I want the most accurate sound possible.
-it's going to be played from an iPhone/iPad

Thanks guys and girls for the help, it's really appreciated

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 10
What music does she like and what will she be using to play her music from?

I am currently using a K545 and simply love it's sound. It has just enough bass while having amazing midrange for the vocals, and a pleasant but detailed treble, along with a nice soundstage to make it very immersive. It is the best sounding portable I have heard under $400, working well for classical, jazz, acoustic music, country, classic rock, Celtic, and more. They are also very comfortable in my opinion.

Here is my review http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k545-portable-over-ear-headphone/reviews/9861 and a link the main discussion thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/670709/akg-new-headphone-k545

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 10
I chose this Christmas to give to my wife some headphones. She's been telling me for a couple years that it was something she always wanted because she loves music. I know she will be amazed because she uses apple's small earphones lol.
So I was on YouTube and I saw a review of the ath m50s and the guy said it was the best headphones he reviewed and I first thought, wow that was easy! I'll buy her these. But I'm not an impulsive buyer, far from that so I googled and found this great site. And it seems a lot of people don't like or think the m50s are so good.
The other thing I found was that it's going to be a really hard choice because it's huge world full of things I just learned today like closed or open back, noise cancelling or not. At least now I know approximately what I need:
-It needs to be under 200 or 300 if you convince me
-closed back
-noise cancelling is not mandatory(she won't use them in areas with steady noises)
-she's doesn't need something with huge bass
-I want the most accurate sound possible.
-it's going to be played from an iPhone/iPad

The ATH-M50s are bassy music headphones, fairly good value at $120 for someone that like bassy music.
But there are better headphones.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.
Hifiman Velour ear pads, for the A900X.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 10
She's listens to varius styles from blues and jazz to pop and rock. Today in my research, a friend told me that is wasn't worth it to spend more than 80$ for something played on a iPhone. He suggested to take a pair of sony 7502.

If I take something more expensive, do I absolutely need some kind of mini amp too?

And why should I need some Hifiman velour with the ath 900x? There's not comfortable?

Thanks everyone!

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 10
She's listens to varius styles from Blues and Jazz to pop and rock. Today in my research, a friend told me that is wasn't worth it to spend more than 80$ for something played on a iPhone. He suggested to take a pair of Sony 7502.
If I take something more expensive, do I absolutely need some kind of mini amp too?
And why should I need some Hifiman Velour with the ATH-900X? There's not comfortable?

If you were going to spend around $80 for headphones for the iPhone.
JVC HA-S680, $81, eBay, only sold in Japan, so they will be shipped to you.
Low impedance headphones like the (40-Ohm) ATH-A900X or (32-Ohm) HA-S680 are very easy to drive, so You do not have to buy a separate headphone amplifier to use them with the iPhone.
But something like the FiiO E11 amp ($60-$65) might offer a little improvement in the audio quality.

I find the stock ear pads on the A900X very comfortable.
But the Hifiman Velour add a firmer grip on the head.

But as I'm assuming your female is going to be using the headphones on the move, the JVC HA-S680s are folding headphones and would seem to be the wiser choice, plus I think she will like the sound.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks everyone! I finally ordered the ath a900x this morning. I'm last minute, I hope they arrive before Christmas lol.

Anyways in happy to have discovered this site and this huge world, which is high end audio. I think I'll be borrowing the headphones a bit :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks everyone! I finally ordered the ath a900x this morning. I'm last minute, I hope they arrive before Christmas lol.

Anyways in happy to have discovered this site and this huge world, which is high end audio. I think I'll be borrowing the headphones a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

A shame I got here late. I found the Sound Magic HP 100 to more accurate than the A900x but you know what

THE A 900x ARE FUN, no seriosuly they are a VERY good headphone. And as her first headphone... I think she will enjoy them :3. Get her something TO accurate and she might find it boring q.q 
[Ie the Hp 100 is not every one's cup of tea :3] 
so yea the A900x is a great headphone [I did own one] . It's very wallet friendly and it sounds nice :D  confident coming from Apple Ear Buds she will be a very sastified ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back