Close back headphone with similar sound signature as the Akg K240?
Mar 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Notus

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, everybody. My first post here but have been long time reader.

I would like to ask if there is any closed back headphones with similar sound signature as the Akg K240?
I have owned the Akg K240 MkII for over an year now and i fell in love with the sound signature the first day i heard them.

Now i need something that blocks outside noise fairly well, can be powered by Sansa clip+.
Comfort is quite important and the sound signature should be at least close to the Akg K240 mkII.
Slightly better bass extension would be nice also, i like punchy bass but sometimes i feel the Akg K240 lacks extension in the bass. The amount of bass is fairly good on the Akg K240 mkII but slightly more bass would work.
Looking for something that is closed and i can take with me.
Not exactly looking for portable options, but everything is welcome.
Only looking for Over ear headphones.

I have fairly large head and large ears.
Akg K240 clamp my head fairly tight.

My price would be somewhere around 150 euros.
Im from europe.

Removable cables, replaceable pads are a nice bonus.

I am not looking to replace my Akg K240.

So far my option's are.
Akg K550
Shure SRH840 (comfort is a deal breaker, sound was great).

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 53
If you want the absolute closest to your k240mk2 in a closed package I think the K550 is the way to go.
There's also the K271mk2, but the sound signature is quite a bit different and the bass extension is really lacking.

Now, the K550 might be a somewhat controversial choice, as people are polarized about this headphone, especially in regards to it's bass response.
As a long time AKG fan and former owner of the k240 (mk1) and K550, I can tell you that you will find all the qualities of the K240 in the K550, but enhanced to a higher degree. The most striking difference will be in the amount of detail and texture they will provide compared to the K240.
In terms of bass response the K550 are quite linear and at first impression might be underwhelming, but they do reach very deep when needed and also respond really well to EQ. 

I've attached a FR graph here, comparing the K240mk2 (red) with the K550 (blue) and I think it speaks for itself.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 53
The Akg K550 does sound interesting headphone and i checked some reviews about them.
The things that got me concerned is the Seal, size of the cup and bass.

I actualy have issues with comfort with many headphones, with the Akg k240 headphones the pleather pads are better for comfort, but my ear tends to touch the baffle plate. Also when i use the Pleather earpads the bass is completely gone, i think they dont make a proper seal around my ears. this is becouse the earpads are so shallow.
The velvet earpads has better bass, but the hole in the earpads is smaller compared to the Pleathers and my ears wont fit inside it.
My ears tend to hurt after a while. The clamping force is also fairly high, i think i have a large head. 

The real issue is that i wont be able to test the Headphones prior to buying them. I have to order everything.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 53
The pads are a bit larger on the K550 and much softer compared to the pleathers from K240.
Overall comfort is also better. The headband design is completely different and the K550 feel quite a bit lighter on the head, with less clamping than K240.
The seal is also very good, as I understand it K550 is one of the better ones out there in this regard.

As a side note, for K240 -  you can alleviate some of the clamping force by bending the headband rods outwards a little bit.
That should improve long term comfort, especially with the velour pads.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 53
My ears tend to hurt after a while. The clamping force is also fairly high, i think i have a large head

No one complains about clamping force on the K550s. In fact, that's the problem. People with smaller heads have trouble getting a good seal because it doesn't clamp tight enough. So no worries :)

The real issue is that i wont be able to test the Headphones prior to buying them. I have to order everything.

Most of us have that problem. So we commit to the idea that we might need to spend a little money "demoing" more than one pair, and pay the return shipping fee on the one (or ones) we don't want. Buy from somewhere that has a good return policy.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 53
(Actualy the more i read about them the more im starting to think that these woudnt be a good option for me.)
The Akg K550 are on the upperside of my price range, how portable are the Akg K550?
Majority of the music i tend to listen these days tend to be very low quality and sometimes can sound very harsh and overly bright.
Listening to a lot of music mixed by amateurs so quality is what it is.

Im not actualy looking for a headphone to replace my Akg K240, more of a closed option with the same sound signature and maybe similar sound quality. With maybe slight improvement in the bass region.

I edited my original post a bit to narrow down what im searching for.

Quote:
 Most of us have that problem. So we commit to the idea that we might need to spend a little money "demoing" more than one pair, and pay the return shipping fee on the one (or ones) we don't want. Buy from somewhere that has a good return policy.

I think you are right and i should adjust my price range to reflect this.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 53
Any other options besides the Akg K550?
I would like to narrow down all my options before pulling the trigger on what to get.

Velour pads would be great for the comfort.

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 53
There are no other options for me?

I spent a little while fiddling with FR charts, and Amperior and SRH840 are closer on paper to K240. I haven't heard K240 yet so I couldn't say.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 53
I have tried the Shure SRH 440 and those had more bass compared to the K240. When i listened to the Shure SRH 440 i felt the bass was kinda odd ( maybe rolled off ). I had mixed feelings about the comfort, my ears touched the baffle plate and sweating was a problem, also they felt a bit "heavy" on top of my head.
What i have read about the SRH 840 is that they have even more bass compared to the SRH 440 also the have even more weight. Don't know about Amperior but i think the comfort would be huge issue with them, also they are on ear and im looking for Over ear headphones. The Amperior is outside of my price range.
But thanks for taking your time looking at the FR charts.
What i understand from reading here, headphones sometimes don't sound the way they are on the paper.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 53
Had to edit my original post quite a bit since forgot lots of important info.
This time forgot to mention im looking for Over ear headphones. Oh well.

Still thinking about the Akg K550 but the lack of detachable cable is a big minus. Im also curious if you can get new earpads for the K550?

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 53
  I have tried the Shure SRH 440 and those had more bass compared to the K240. When i listened to the Shure SRH 440 i felt the bass was kinda odd ( maybe rolled off ). I had mixed feelings about the comfort, my ears touched the baffle plate and sweating was a problem, also they felt a bit "heavy" on top of my head.
What i have read about the SRH 840 is that they have even more bass compared to the SRH 440 also the have even more weight. Don't know about Amperior but i think the comfort would be huge issue with them, also they are on ear and im looking for Over ear headphones. The Amperior is outside of my price range.
What i understand from reading here, headphones sometimes don't sound the way they are on the paper.

Most of the time, the charts are pretty accurate but sometimes they're off. When they're off, it's very obvious that something was wrong with the measurement set up or the seal on the dummy head because they're very off.

You're right about the weight of SRH840 though it can be modded with the foam insert from the HD6x0 headband. So you might look into that; I've seen several sets of photos and it looks fairly easy.

You're also right about the clamping on Amperior.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 53

840 has better more controlled bass than 440 and it's not on the level of basshead. I think either it or 940 is your best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back