Clone Note LDR Attenuator
Jan 25, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 19
Okay, I was running around the net finding pics and comments about the Clone Note and stumbled on this page. I would like to say thanks for buying the kit from me guys and I am really glad to hear you like it so much. To the OP, would you mind terribly if I linked this thread in my new site? PS I am building a new site using Shopify. GoDaddy stopped supporting my old shopping cart.
@dogears Okay, its been too long! I know though, I do the same thing when I buy a new kit. Sometimes they never get built.
I am selling all my gear from my home system and switching over to only headphones. Its been selling rather quickly which has been nice and thinking of that reminds me I have an amp and an Audio Precision to pack up and ship. I will soon finish building my integrated headphone amp. I have enough room to get a small dac in the same enclosure so then I'll just use digital output from TIDAL on my phone to the integrated. To the gentleman who suggested his new amp needed more drive than the CloneNote can give, which makes sense as its passive, you might consider using my headphone amp kit as a headphone amp of course but also as a preamp. It has a buffer stage, then a spot to tie in the CloneNote, then an amplifier stage with about 10ohms output impedance. I think it sounds fantastic and it works well with that power supply dogears mentioned. Anyway, I am looking forward to finishing that. I bought a pair of Fostex THX9xx or something like that. I forget the exact model but I got it from a fellow on this site and I'm fine with this pair of headphones for my critical listening. I love my Beyerdynamics for when I'm not so concerned about sound quality because they still have 8/10 sound quality but 10/10 comfort.
I have really slowed down on building anything audio related though. I started a margarita machine business www.themargaritamanhouston.com . Its kept me a bit more busy and has been fun. I love meeting new people and get to meet several per weekend, so it gives me an income and a lot of enjoyment. The idea is to send the kids to college and the business can accomplish that so I am thrilled. But, audio has fallen by the wayside and I think I am more interested in listening than building right now. Will have to push myself to get on with assembly of the integrated.
It always makes me happy to see old customers online. Hi to all and I hope you are all safe and healthy.
Uriah

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 19
I Uriah,
I hope the Covid hasn't 'crimped' your business establishing too much and you and your family are okay.
I'm about to assemble the new kit you sent with the Dave Slagle 'autotransformer as the attenuator instead of the resistors and including a simple B1 buffer (diyA Hypnotize project) to isolate impedance variations - looking forward to the result.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 19
Oh that sounds really cool! I'm excited to hear what you think of the transformer plus clone note boards!
Covid put serious brakes on business but the goal of the business is to put two girls through college and it can still do that so at a minimum is successful.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 19
Heya Chief! Glad to see you here. I really hope you are well. So its been 3yrs hahaha. Was able to finish other speaker related projects along the way. This year I will finally get to assemble my OB setup.
I was looking for (clone note) reviews and I ended back here. I even reviewed my posts :D Anyway, I may have the chance/time to complete the kit now. Last night I got to dig the parts and review the instructions. I just need to gather the strength and patience to deal with the SMD resistors :D
Got some new stuff for my home audio [resurrected due to the pandemic] and actually need the LDR to go between my Topping BC3+DDDAC and power amp.
I will try your suggestion to use your hpamp as preamp via the Topping BC3 which has its own volume control only that its linear hence my need for the LDR.
Good luck on your new business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back