Clix only chargeable with Windows Media 11
Sep 23, 2006 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

gattler

New Head-Fier
If that is true, i will never buy iriver in my whole life. Microsofts Software dominates our world already, next the energy, then our wifes, then our passion, then our love. they want to own it all, urghh..

http://www.misticriver.net/wiki/index.php/Clix

"For any reason someone decided that even charging can be done only when proper software is around. What's next? DRM certified electrons from Microsoft? But there's another workaround: a deep discharge will move the clix to a state where any plain USB charger will work again. However, frequent deep discharges will reduce the battery life time of its Li-Ion battery"

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 23
I have no idea what got into iriver. At one point in time they were putting out some of the greatest players on the market (H100/H300). All their players use to be UMS and were fairly user friendly (read: rockbox-able). Then they started stripping down the features on their players and making them use priority software.

And now this? Priority software just to charge the player??? I'm very confused at how one of the greatest DAP company in recent years has dropped to this level.
confused.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
Uh, I have WMP10 on my box and charged the Clix just fine.

Yeah, I think the main thing is that you must have the player connected to a WinXP computer for it to charge. Whereas most USB-chargeable players will go into "charging mode" with any old USB connection or generic USB-to-wall-plug adapter, the Clix is designed not to.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 23
I think current iRiver flash players have alternate firmwares that allow UMS, but nothing is real obvious on their site. You pretty much have to Google to find it. I think Microsoft is really pushing MTP over UMS. I don't have XP, and never will, so it's iAudio or any other company that firmly supports UMS, Linux, and Mac for me.

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 23
I bet you MS is paying them a lot of money. You have to realize that the whole Windows Media thing wont affect the average consumer. For some reason people seem to flock DAPs that can't be used as a drag and drop HDD and need some kind of proprietary software in order to use them.

Sep 23, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 23
I understand supporting MTP, and even having it as a default. If you aren't familiar with computers, or even if you are, it can be nice to have one program to rip and sync with. However, it is so trivial to support UMS that I do believe there is some sort of "motivation" from Microsoft not to. I like how the Sandisk players have a menu option to switch between the two. Pretty sensible, IMO.

I got my first DAP about 5 years ago before UMS was really very prevalent in anything, so it had special software. The main app that could rip and sync and whatnot was so utterly horrible it is beyond description. It was so cumbersome and bug-ridden that it made me feel sick, both as a consumer and a software developer. At least I found out they have an Explorer-like program that just allowed copying. I swore off custom software after that. One of the first things I do with a friend that has a new computer is turn off all the phone-home crap in Windows Media and Musicmatch that comes with their computers. That's total BS, too.

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 23
This is what I emailed to iriver with my ebox (if you have a clix, you should email iriver through your ebox too).

You should add to this that you wont buy a clix if it didn't also support UMS<->MTP like the U & T 512mb/1gb players.

Quote:

This is all the stuff that I thought were good ideas from a forum and I don't know if you guys still support the clix now that iriver announced the S10, but here is my firmware request anyway. :s

I bet a lot of people would really like to have these features added.
*Turn the display on & off with the smart key (while on the subject, add 15 and 30 second back light options)
*Add an A-B smart key.
*Rotate the display orientation 90° in four directions (you'd also have to update or make a new smart key).
*When the player is locked, none of the side buttons nor the hold key should power the display.
*Show the volume number at all times by putting it at the top.
*Double the current radio presets because I live near a major city, Seattle, with about 30 radio stations.
*Update the shuffle icon with the new WMP 11 Beta 2 one; I know I was confused for a while not knowing that I had my songs on shuffle with the current icon.
*Supported Audible content (the T series has this).

And if possible,
*an after market option to make the clix UMS because I'd like to use a wall or even an AC charger without draining the battery first (boo Microsoft's MTP).
*allow people to choose the power button to sleep or completely shut down. I and others don't care about the clock, synced backgrounds (honestly, just use the start up screen as the only background), or start up time but we do care about battery life immensely.
*delete media through "Browse Device."
*shut the clix down when it is done charging (might be an MTP problem).
*begin fast-forwarding & re-winding audio without having to click beforehand when the display is off.

Some people might like a word wrap text option.

Here's a bug I found and an observation.
*With the screen on and a song playing, go to the list of music where the song is played from. When the song is done playing, the next song will mirror the title of the one above.
*The oversight is personal white backgrounds don't work well with the white font.

Address the white noise issue, please.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 23
I already emailed iriver that they suck for making the clix platform and energy dependend. The first thing on every new WinXP machine is: remove the Windows Media Player and install the mPlayer, which is nothing less than 1000 LIGHTYEARS ahead in performance, reliability and codec support. It also runs on a mac if you know how.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gattler
I already emailed iriver that they suck for making the clix platform and energy dependend. The first thing on every new WinXP machine is: remove the Windows Media Player and install the mPlayer, which is nothing less than 1000 LIGHTYEARS ahead in performance, reliability and codec support. It also runs on a mac if you know how.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Mplayer is eons ahead of most media players. Quick question, but how would you charge the clix if it's WM dependant? Do you have to have WM running with it synced to the clix? That would take up a lot of valueable system resources.

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 23
Exactly! Only a seriously mentally defected person would buy the clix whilst in possesion of the knowledge that one had to resolder it in order to use the battery in the fashion batteries are used for the last 107 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back