Clive Nolan/Oliver Wakeman
Jan 21, 2002 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Hi

Just got the brand new Clive Nolan and Oliver Wakeman cd "Hound of the Baskervilles" today and its bloomin brilliant!

Thankfully the dodgy production that dogged Jabberwocky (no pun intended!!) isn't present, indeed its quite dynamic with some great bass in parts.

Performances from the usual suspects (Bob Catley as Sir Henry and Tracy Hitchings as Beryl stapleton amongst others)are up to the usual high standards, indeed tracys track really surprised me as to how rocking she can actually go
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I really have only just given it a quick spin (68 minutes long) so will obviously need more time to judge but at this moment I'm going out on a limb and going to say that its better than "Jabberwocky" (and that was good) although it is a LOT darker. Also Robert Powells (yes that Robert powell) narration is very good as well.

It also seems to be a good "headphone" album as there are sometimes in the mix three vocalists going on.

To find out more click on www.verglas.com

Coolvij, I'd reccomend this as its a great introduction into the whos who of prog rock at the moment.

Cheers

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
w00t!

Stupid question: what does this mean?

David -- yes, really looking forward to this album!

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Stupid question: what does this mean?

sorta like "Hell YEAH! it's out and it's good! yipee", but shorter
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 9
well, I preordered it along with the new DreamTheater. should take about two weeks.

maybe I'll even get Michelle Young - Marked For Madness some day
rolleyes.gif
*sigh*

Feb 7, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 9
the hound is in the house
smily_headphones1.gif
I just started the first spin, all I can say is it's definately Nolan and Wakeman and it's definately better sounding than Jabberwocky. great narration! loads atmosphere, even better than Jabberwocky (which was indeed very good already), nice bombast too
smily_headphones1.gif
very impressive list of characters!

also got 6DOIT along with it, but the Hound's first. it's gonna be a long night
biggrin.gif

GOODY!
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
oooooooo....wow, Tracy is in good shape again!

ahem
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yes the Tracy track is one of the highlights for me, love the "duet" with Bob Catley. Can't wait for the new Magnum cd at the end of the month.

Two of rocks most underrated vocalists? I think so....

Feb 7, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
Two of rocks most underrated vocalists? I think so....

most definately! Michelle Young has a nice part too, but Tracy really kicks some bottom
cool.gif

well, I'm finally through the disc. I'll need a few more listen to form a secure opinion on this one, and get a better grasp on the story (quite a lot of things happen on one disc!), but I'm absolutely positive it is as least as much a classic as Jabberwocky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back