Clipping with Foobar + ASIO...
Nov 12, 2006 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently using iTunes 6 + foobar 0.83 + ASIO output....

and some of my MP3 files gives this clipping while they are being played...

Do they occur because these mp3 files had been ripped badly?

I saw somewhere that this clipping can damage headphones/speakers...Is this true?

and what can be done to prevent these clippings?

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know what kind of clipping you're talking about but there's a ReplayGain setting that's supposed to prevent clipping in certain situations. Maybe you should try that and lower the volume a notch or two on everything as well. Chances are that none of that will help though... the problem might well be with the original recording rather than with the encoding.

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 5
looking at your equipment list, you're stuff is resolving enough that you might be hearing the clipping that is going on when the CD was produced. there is a known trend with music these days to boost volume across the sound spectrum via compression. since most people are listening to music in their cars or noisy environment and/or listening via mid to low-fi equipment they don't hear the distortion.

try listening to some songs where you are hearing the distortion from the original CD to test. if you hear it from the CD then you know it isn't your rip.

on a different note, i would recommend you switch to flac or at least use a very high bitrate for your rips. again, you're listening through resolving enough kit to warrant lossless rips.

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 5
I had some issues with ASIO (ASIO4ALL) before, but I'm going to assume it was my soundcard causing the problem. Sometimes it would just go nuts on me and play this really loud hissing noise. I've stopped using it for now, but will try it again when I get my eb01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back