clipping on 80GB iPod 5.5G?
Sep 4, 2007 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to music of all types and today when I was in my car I was playing this hip-hop song that sounded like it was clipping at some points throughout the track. I have my 80GB iPod 5.5G connected to the cigarette lighter with some cheap dock connector that charges and plays through the radio. At first I thought it might have been interference, but when I listened to that track through my Etys they showed up there too. I have EQ on the iPod set to none and can't seem to get a specific point where it clips. For example it'll get all static at 3:04, but if I rewind and listen to it again it's fine. It seems to come and go, but when it comes it's always within the same timeframe... The track plays fine in iTunes so I compared the two files, one from the iPod and the other from iTunes and they are identical files. Any suggestions?

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
My main suggestion is to listen to music that isn't hot mastered.

Second, try normalizing it down to 85% if you are going to use EQ.

See ya
Steve

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Hard to avoid the former... but with the latter, I don't use any EQ on the iPod. I have it set to none! While I'll still give normalizing a shot, I was wondering if it's possible for a track to still clip without EQ set on this iPod?

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I was wondering if it's possible for a track to still clip without EQ set on this iPod?

Yes, because of the volume wars at the recording studios.

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if it's possible for a track to still clip without EQ set on this iPod?

Nope. You're back to the hot mastering unless your headphones have a blown voice coil or something.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back