Clipped highs with AV-710 ks foobar setup with ER-4P
Jun 18, 2006 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

astro

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed that using that Kernel Streaming setup increases the volume, perhaps attributing to the clipped noise. If I use the foobar volume control to reduce the volume by 5dB, the clip is eliminated. However, what's weird is when I use my swan speakers, I do not get the clip. It only happens with my Ety ER-4P. Any ideas what is causing it?
I think I really need an amp with AV-710 for my ER-4P. The output seems very weak and thin. The bass is noticeably weaker than using a the headphone output of my hi-fi preamp.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 7
No idea, but the AV-710 absolutely needs an amp if you are using the Wolfson DAC. That output has no amplification at all and is meant to be used as a line level output, not to drive anything.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 7
That output is really not designed as HP out.

The impedance of the etys (and other headphones) is way to low for that output (RC filter wise). The bass will roll off at a very high frequency.

You really "need" an amp. The high impedance of an amp will take care of the corner frequency (roll off) issue with that output.

Do the Swans have a internal amp?

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Ah, I see.
I just ordered a little dot micro anyways.
Yes the swans has an amp built in. Is it a bad idea to use the little dot micro to increase the volume on the swans too?

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by astro
Yes the swans has an amp built in. Is it a bad idea to use the little dot micro to increase the volume on the swans too?

It's probably unnecessary, unless you can get the swans to output line level, then you would be able to amp it and have better sound quality. Otherwise, you are running your signal through two amplifiers.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
It's probably unnecessary, unless you can get the swans to output line level, then you would be able to amp it and have better sound quality. Otherwise, you are running your signal through two amplifiers.

Yeah sometimes I find the output on the AV-710 isn't powerful enough to drive the swans to the volume I want them. The swans often isn't loud enough with the volume maxed out on the AV-710.
So two amps would be a bad idea right?

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Two amps is fine for me as it all depends on the power you output from the first amp, if its low its only really a pre amp. But watch out for how hard you drive as damage can occur to your drivers if you make a volume mistake.

In fact two amps has given me a better signal with my LDII. The pre amp (mixer) cleans the computer source signal first to a certain degree and then the LDII cleans it more than as much again (with my cans).

I would have thought the micro will do the same.

I'm going to try this amp structure using the LDII for the main system to clean up the signal from the pre amp (mixer) before the amps. I should think it will work quite well, when I can get around to the wiring. Does this help or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back