Clip Zip 'Sport' 16Gb ?
Jun 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #197 of 216
But back on topic, I'd nearly be willing to give this clip sport away, if I wasn't holding out in the hope of what I'm starting to sound like one hell of a broken record for, rockbox. Even then, I have my zip for rock, and clip+ for classical, can't imagine I'd ever need a third.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #198 of 216
But back on topic, I'd nearly be willing to give this clip sport away, if I wasn't holding out in the hope of what I'm starting to sound like one hell of a broken record for, rockbox. Even then, I have my zip for rock, and clip+ for classical, can't imagine I'd ever need a third.

Yeah that would be nice.  I won't buy one without rockbox support.  It seems kinda stupid how in a world where portable media players are being replaced by smartphones and rockbox might be something that pushes people over the edge that sandisk would change the hardware so much.  I just want the better battery.   

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #202 of 216
Okay, I've now got two Clip Sports that are bricked.  Be warned, do not buy the Clip Sport; it fully lives up to the reputation of Chinese manufacturing from 5 years back.  Garbage.

It seems new firmware does exist.  Unbricked and functioning but lacking many (most) of the features of previous iterations (i.e. is unable to combine the music stored in internal ram with the external SD card).

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #203 of 216
That's so stupid. What is sandisk thinking? They had a great reputation, why trash that? There's absolutely no reason to release a half finished product, and then not even fix it with a firmware upgrade. It shouldn't take a year to fix something that should have worked from the get go. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #204 of 216
  That's so stupid. What is sandisk thinking? They had a great reputation, why trash that? There's absolutely no reason to release a half finished product, and then not even fix it with a firmware upgrade. It shouldn't take a year to fix something that should have worked from the get go. 

I know right?   They have the almost perfect mp3 player the fuze and they come out with the fuze+.  All they really have to do is give the clip line a better battery and they come out with this crap? I guarantee you if they just leave the chipset alone people will buy them just for rockbox.  I know I would

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #205 of 216
This has passed it's test regarding ruggedness. Had a storm couple of weeks ago with flooding and I went jogging out with this and meelec sports iems. Came back home with all pockets and sneakers drenched and it still works
Now there's something you can't do with a +$500 rig!

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #209 of 216
I really do love the zip and +, but the main reason I love them is the same as many others.  I should probably give the sport a second chance, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #210 of 216
As a clip+ and 2x clip zip owner, the main advantages of rockbox is better codec support, more advanced options e.g. eq if that is your thing, gapless and much faster interface - including scanning new media. You can add gb of new files and it is good to go near instantly whereas the stock firmware takes an age scanning.

Of course you install at your own risk but even I have not managed to brick it.

Shame they have changed the brains in the clip sport so it needs someone prepared to write rb from scratch. 25 hour max battery life is nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back