Clip x Fuze: see my options and help me!
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

numbskull

100+ Head-Fier
OK, i've decided to buy a westone UM3X and i just bought a fiio E5 from a friend for 10 bucks.

I lost my iaudio U3, been using my bro's Sony, but now i need a new DAP for me. I need some clarifications and advise to know which of these two listed in the title i will pick.

1) Will both of them drive the UM3X without amp?

2) Will the fiio be a good option to follow the fuze/clip? I'm concerned about hiss or sound degradation, maybe some clip/fuze + westone UM3x users appear here to enlight me
smily_headphones1.gif

3) My indecision between both would be due to the fuze having a LOD + cable ($45) for sale, then i could use it with fiio or other amp later. B;ut this will compensate the extra investment? I.e., will it sound $45 better?

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 3
From the Sansa Forum[not verified by me]:
Quote:

One would want line out (fixed versus variable) for one of two reasons: a set output level separate of the adjustable one, adjusted at the receiving end, or a cleaner signal path.

The latter consideration is vitually moot, as the EQ and gain stages are digital and resident in the device's processor. The gain level is adjustable in the final output stage of the D-A converter, rather than an outboard potentiometer or even an additional processor (usually an operational amp gain stage).

Thus, having control over the final output level can actually be preferable, as one has control over the signal. No more overdrive / underdrive issues when connected to a dock with internal amplifier, or passing the signal to a home stereo, or an FM modulator. SanDisk has opted for allowing control over the output level in the interest of compatibility.

I have your pictured LOD from my Fuze going into a NuForce Mobile Dac/Amp.
The purpose of this was also to get a signal that is more useable with car stereos and line-in home equipment, as the headphone out does not drive them well.
It seems to me that it works quite well without signal degradation, so I am happy with it.
Nice to only use the analog volume control from the NuForce Amp instead of the Fuze volume control wheel,while on the go.
(I prefer the volume control not to be on the face of the DAP)

Set the EQ to 'off' for best signal while using the LOD.

afd36515.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back