clip vs. a818 vs. d2
Apr 13, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xcoldricex

New Head-Fier
i will be playing predominately 320kbps mp3s, mostly dance, hip-hop, house, funk, freestyle, electro, jazz, vocal jazz, downtempo, etc. it will be used mostly in the car and gym when i want to audition new tracks i've just received (with sennheiser px200's for now).

i've been looking through the forums a little bit and am looking into Sansa Clip, Sony A818, and the Cowon D2.

what i'd like:
-sound quality (i like my bass too)
-easy navigation with hard buttons (for easy navigation while driving)
-drag and drop transfer
-2-8gb
-rechargeable battery
-some sort of screen (no just shuffle players)
-built in usb (not necessary - but would be nice.. just in case i'm missing a player)

what i don't really need:
-video
-picture
-fm radio
-recording

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 17
If you are considering the clip, i would also consider the sansa fuze. Not much more expensive and you get the micro sdhc expansion slot with a color screen. I picked myself up the 8gb model a few days ago and it sounds great, feels sturdy, and looks decent.

Its smaller than the d2 and the a818 as well if that helps any.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 17
How will you be using this in the car? Like a GPS of sort? If it's for the car, the D2, even being touch screen is a bit annoying, but I think amongst the players you've named, the D2 is probably the most easiest...as long as you're not switching albums...

Sound quality: The D2 has amazing sound quality backed by a powerful amplifier, so there will be no problem powering earphones of slightly higher impedance than the regular 16ohms efficiently. Bass impact is good too, as you can EQ or use MachBass, but I would much rather leave the EQ alone and buy bassy headphones.

Navigation: Everything is touch screen, so that kills your criteria for hard buttons, but there are buttons and you can change the functionality of them...but you lose it's original functionality as well. Give up something to get something I guess.

Transfer: D2 is definitely drag and drop transfer. Works anywhere for the most part.

Size: D2, as you might know, comes in 4GB, and 8GB flavors. And with the additional SD slot, that supports SDHC, you can stick a 32MB to a 16GB in there.

Battery: The battery life on the D2 is brilliant. I can play max volume with 320kbps cbr mp3s for more than 24 hours...battery life is definitely not an issue.

Screen and USB: The D2 comes with a nice touch screen as well as a non proprietary USB port, so any usb mini cord will work.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 17
i have a direct input into my car stereo.

as long as it's easy to change tracks and navigate through folders pretty easily without having to look at the screen for an extended amount of time is fine - which is why a colorful large screen isn't a high priority.

i currently use a creative MuVo TX FM for this purpose but i'm sick of buying AAA batteries and find the 1gb capacity slightly limiting. I am not in need of gobs of memory since i like to clear it out and put new stuff on it as it's for quick auditions of things (although expansion IS always a welcome option).

Thanks for the breakdown Meloncoly. what i meant by built in usb is a like the MuVo TX - you just plug it in like a memory stick - don't have to carry a usb cable around.... but i don't think any players are like that anymore.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 17
There are still a few players like that...but they are outdated. None of those players that you listed has that functionality. By direct input do you mean a USB port or do you mean by a 3.5mm jack. The D2 is drag and drop and it reads perfectly fine on a Xbox 360, which navigates the D2 for the music like a car does, but in a much flashier way. If it's a 3.5mm port, like my Passat, then navigation is definitely doable but I would prefer not to since it distracts me while driving, but I have gotten used to the point where I can do everything blindly besides choosing the folder I want to play...and that takes only takes 2 seconds.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 17
just a 3.5mm jack. i can do controls with an ipod on my steering wheel, but i find i use my ipod less and less.

do you have experience with the other two players by chance?

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcoldricex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a 3.5mm jack. i can do controls with an ipod on my steering wheel, but i find i use my ipod less and less.

do you have experience with the other two players by chance?

Sorry but I do not unfortunately. There is a video I posted in another thread I found on Youtube comparing the navigations on the D2 and the A818, which is pretty much the A816 but bigger capacity. You can look at the navigation first hand and decide which one is right for you.

YouTube - cowon d2 vs sony a816 navigation menu

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 17
I'd go for the Sony due to easy navigation and sound signature suitable for the bright and bass-shy PX200's. Cowon D2 is heavy and bulky, not for the gym IMHO. Sansa Clip is a bargain given its abilities but I think Sony is more rugged and has got more memory.

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for the Sony due to easy navigation and sound signature suitable for the bright and bass-shy PX200's. Cowon D2 is heavy and bulky, not for the gym IMHO. Sansa Clip is a bargain given its abilities but I think Sony is more rugged and has got more memory.

Heavy, bulky and not suited for the gym...? It might be bigger than the players stated here but the last time I checked the D2 is pretty small in size and weight compared to others, and it was much better than carrying an iPod, which many people at the gym do. I have it in my pockets all the time and I have no issue with it falling out or potentially being damaged. It's flash memory as well, so I don't see how it would be an issue. The touch screen could be an issue but I have mine unprotected for about half a year now with daily trips to the gym, and nothing has happened yet...of course this is all IMHO.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 17
yeah i checked out that youtube video last night - doesn't look like the d2 will do it. seems pretty cumbersome to navigate without looking at the screen. i might end up getting one later though for other purposes. thanks for all the help meloncholy!

i might just pop over to best buy and buy the clip/fuze and the sony and try both of them out for a bit and see which one suits me better.

i should invest in a new pair of IEMs soon too... **** i forgot had EP-630's two years ago... maybe i lost them though
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 17
Once you get used to it, the D2's pretty easy to navigate around, even without looking. Usually when selecting tracks, I have my D2 in my jacket pocket, and use the top hard buttons to adjust volume, change tracks, and control play/pause, as well as power. Very easy, and I was doing this within a month of owning the player.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 17
The d2 is pretty poor for navigation through folders while driving. You pretty much need 2 hands (one to hold it and one to select menus). That said, I can't think of any player where you wouldn't have to look at the screen to know the folder you are looking at...

For skipping tracks without looking it is fantastic with the use of the hold switch.

As far as for the gym... I use mine everyday without issue.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Really? I almost always use ONE hand while using it, I've rarely found the need for two hands. And this is with my smaller, slimmer, asian hands.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I almost always use ONE hand while using it, I've rarely found the need for two hands. And this is with my smaller, slimmer, asian hands.

i usually use one hand to hold it and one to point and click. I can use 1, but it's not as easy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back