Clip+ Sound Quality, really??
Apr 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #47 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by marc2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it might be set to European settings which has a very low volume cap. if you set it to "North America", it's much louder

(admittedly this post is based on my experience with the old clip, not the new clip+, but i'm guessing it will be exactly the same. you can use the "Reset" option found in the settings and it will ask you to set up your location again)

Actually, you're very right. I'd forgotten all about the EU "Volume Cap" and didn't realise they were crippling the volume by that much! The EU commission are forcing all this crap down our necks, do this, don't do that. All it is, is this stupid "I'll sue you because you product did something bad to me, even though ignoring all common sense I did it anyway" philosophy crap just drives me mad. Basically, if you have the volume up too loud and bugger up your hearing, that's your problem. You can't put the blame on the audio companies, so if you choose to ignore all common sense, then that's your TS!!

Sorry guys, rant over.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #49 of 179
what about children who aren't concious of the dangers of it ?

Maybe for that reason I see allot of people listening to their iems at ridiculous lvls, to me the outsider even with ambient noise it sound like some small speakers.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #51 of 179
Here's something I'd like to know, trying to get something accurate is a different matter.

Using the EQ to get a decent "Loudness" setting, I've reverted back to the original OS because RB is far too unstable atm. As you're all aware, there is no actual information about band freq or even how much you're actually cutting or boosting.

So far I've got this:
Band 1: +5 boost
Band 2: -2 cut
Band 3: 0
Band 4: -5 cut
Band 5: +5 boost

How close would that be to proper "Loudness" setting?

Cheers

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #52 of 179
I'm totally unsold on all the hype about the Fuze and Clip+. I've owned both and sold the Fuze and kept the Clip +, but only as a dinky backup to my Ipod Classic 6th Gen (120gb).

You may scoff, but aside from the easy-as-piss interface and huge storage, I much prefer the sound of the iPod. The soundstage just seems more expansive, with plenty of air and a more 'natural' treatment of vocals and instruments than the Sansas. And thats when A/Bing from both players' headphone outs. When I actually run a LOD out from the iPod into my Headsix amp, the difference between the two is thrown into even more contrast.

All of this is using my CK-10 iems, so your mileage may of course vary, but there it is: my two pence worth on the subject.

Now shoot me in the head(-fi).

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #53 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my opinion were the final word I wouldn't be asking for other peoples experiences would I? I am also not the only one that finds deficiencies as you should have read in this thread. The question is why the discrepancy?

What are these Prof. reviews you speak of? Professional reviews?? What 'Professional' do you speak of that lauds the stock clip+ or even the boxed clip+ to be equal to or better than an SFlo2 or and iPod. Please point me to these miracle reviews by audio engineers who have scientifically measured the respective DAP's in question.

My issue is it seems alot of people are posting their recommendations using inaccurate methodology and limited audial experience. Say someone listens to their rockboxed or LOD'd Fuze plugged into a desktop tube amp using 24 bit FLAC and then listens to the same song on their friends unmodded iPod unamped using 128k MP3's. They come on here and post Fuze destroys all other DAP's! Now people go spend their money and find out umm, What?

I simply don't find this discrepancy of opinion in other threads. With the IEM and Amp thread people do very well describing the sonic character of products and reaching consensus. Here in the portable DAP area, people are all over the place and from where some on this particular thread have taken it seems far from any legitimate discussion of sound quality from an Audiophile perspective.

You want a final word Boswd? Here it is on the Sansa Clip+:

Pretty good sound when rockboxed for a $30-$50 player in such a small, well built package. Look elsewhere if you are searching for Audiophile level SQ in a DAP especially if you have dynamic drivers that need a bit of power to bring out their best.

Regards

here are some Prof reviews and to be honest I don't think I've read a single bad one

CNET.com (Editors' Choice) - "SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (4GB)"
PCMag.com (Editors' Choice Award) - "SanDisk Sansa Clip"
Digital Trends (Editors' Choice) - "SanDisk's Sansa Clip+ Review"
Computer Shopper (Editor's Choice) - "SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (4GB)"
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Plus Review

I actually did a side by side comparison between the Fuze and his 5Gen Nano with my friend who is an Apple Lackey, both unamped, using same headphones, bought an MP3 from Amazon and downloaded on to each since he also has WMP.

I'm sorry the iPod just did not have the same definintion as the sansa, the highhats, and snare drums and the bass guitars were so easily identified on the sansa and more blended together on the iPod. This was Frank's Fly me to the Moon. I mean the strum of the bass guitar or chelo or what ever was just incredible on the sansa, the iPod just did not have that clarity.
We also went to the other spectrum and did For whom the bells toll by Mettalica, and same thing. It's just a cleaner more well defined sound.

Maybe you like ultra rich bass, I don't know.

But my ears tell me different than yours.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #54 of 179
The bass isn't the problem on the clip, its the whole frequency spectrum in that some of it seems to be missing across the board.

The problem comparing our ears is our sources are completely different. We don't use the same songs, file format, type of headphones, or sources even. You didn't even use a Clip in your review. Even then I doubt we would have the same settings. I don't think it's a matter of us 'hearing different'. I don't listen to MP3's so you may be missing detail that I am not, especially w/ my dynamic phones. Were you even both on a flat eq setting?

Remember, I'm using a 2g nano, I've heard the ipod line runs quite the gamut w/ respect to SQ.

I did make an observation listening to Grado GR8's w/ a rockboxed and EQ'd clip+. I did get the custom boxed Clip to sound better than the iPod w/ a flat setting. This was impossible w/ the Monster MD's though, the Clip still sounds thin no matter what, the earphones won't get fooled. I think armatures just pair better w/ the clip.

As for those reviews, not one of those mags is what I would look to for an audiophile opinion. They barely know computer hardware let alone audio dynamics. I used to read those fluff mags years ago when I wanted to kill time. Editor's choice usually means value, feature set, sound package, advertising contribution, etc. We have been focused on SQ here. Have you even seen the Editors choice awards list from CNET? Its ridiculous, who didn't they give an award to? They only compared the Clip+ to the last clip and mentioned a few Cowons concluding none was really better than the other just different. How about the other Editor's Choice winners? iPod nano, iPod Touch, Sony X, Zune HD, X Mini Happy Speaker MP3 player (WTH?). And where do these 'Prof. Reviews', as u call them, say that a stock Clip+ is the best SQ DAP out there? (ignoring the Hifiman of course)

Perhaps some subscriptions to Stereophile, Sound and Vision, or Widescreen Review would be more appropriate when seeking out SQ comparisons.

The reason I started this thread was the ridiculous raving and support being hurled behind the Clip+ as the best sounding DAP on the market (under $800). That was the reason I bought one after all. It is a fine product for what it offers and what it costs, no doubt. But putting these on a pedestal as many have is a bit too much Kool-aid drinking IMO.

If I ever get my SFlo2 I'll update and see if it pairs up w/ what others who have the clip+ and SFlo2 say. That is if my boxed Clip+ ever wakes up again from its current state of hibernation/death. For $70 more the SFlo2 looks to be a better SQ DAP than a boxed Clip+. We shall see.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #55 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I started this thread was the ridiculous raving and support being hurled behind the Clip+ as the best sounding DAP on the market (under $800).

Could you please show me some quotes of people saying that around here?
I've been following the "Portable Source Gear" section for quite some time now and I don't recall anyone making such claims. Sure people say its amazing for the price but ... Hmm I'm skeptical.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #56 of 179
^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I still think the Clip+ sounds better than any other portable I have heard.

Have you tried reading this thread for one? Others said a rockboxed Clip+ sounds as good or better than an SFlo2. I won't search the whole forum for each one, you go for it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #57 of 179
Does it? Maybe amped, but out of the HO jack? I really don't hear it. I'm planning on picking up a portable amp soon so I'll be able to make direct comparisons amped; but unamped to both my Triples and 3Xs.... the T51 is a little better. It just sounds fuller and more detailed across the entire range.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #58 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it? Maybe amped, but out of the HO jack? I really don't hear it. I'm planning on picking up a portable amp soon so I'll be able to make direct comparisons amped; but unamped to both my Triples and 3Xs.... the T51 is a little better. It just sounds fuller and more detailed across the entire range.

What are you planning to drive w/ an amp+T51? Are you looking to alter the sound signature? Or just to try line out? I was hoping to get an SFlo2 w/o needing an amp.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #59 of 179
Triple.Fi 10s and UM3X. Don't get me wrong they both sound perfectly fine now but I know they can sound better. I had a taste of this with the Triples and a RSA Tomahawk; opened the stage a bit and increased detail; and since I think the UM3Xs are... pretty much better overall (just a slightly less prominent treble) than the Triples, it's going to be worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #60 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by boswd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here are some Prof reviews and to be honest I don't think I've read a single bad one

CNET.com (Editors' Choice) - "SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (4GB)"
PCMag.com (Editors' Choice Award) - "SanDisk Sansa Clip"
Digital Trends (Editors' Choice) - "SanDisk's Sansa Clip+ Review"
Computer Shopper (Editor's Choice) - "SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (4GB)"
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Plus Review

I actually did a side by side comparison between the Fuze and his 5Gen Nano with my friend who is an Apple Lackey, both unamped, using same headphones, bought an MP3 from Amazon and downloaded on to each since he also has WMP.

I'm sorry the iPod just did not have the same definintion as the sansa, the highhats, and snare drums and the bass guitars were so easily identified on the sansa and more blended together on the iPod. This was Frank's Fly me to the Moon. I mean the strum of the bass guitar or chelo or what ever was just incredible on the sansa, the iPod just did not have that clarity.
We also went to the other spectrum and did For whom the bells toll by Mettalica, and same thing. It's just a cleaner more well defined sound.

Maybe you like ultra rich bass, I don't know.

But my ears tell me different than yours.

Apparently certain headphones "synergize" better with certain sources. Mind me asking what headphones you used during the comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back