Clicking sounds on AD-700
Sep 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

avian304

New Head-Fier
I just recently noticed this, but during songs with a heavy bass, the left headphones will make a slight clicking noise with every beat. It doesn't even have to be that loud and the clicking will still be noticeable. I'm currently using a sound card to boost the bass a little, since it's a little bit lacking in the 700's.

Does this mean my headphones are defective? Did I tear something from too loud bass? Or is this something normal that happens because the bass on these are somewhat low?

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Might be the bass boost from the soundcard. Try the same settings with another headphone and see if you still hear it. Bass boost is a strict no-no in headfi land, try software EQ on foobar and reduce the other frequencies and increase the overall volume to simulate a bass increase. See if that helps.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Took off bass boost. It's helped, but it simply means that the clicking sounds come at a louder volume. Maybe it's not so much as clicking as it is fluttering. It's hard to explain.

EDIT: Happens with other headphones, but usually a result of high bass. But for my 700's its only the left side and comes even at normal levels.
Also, it was on mp3's. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not. But I'm just worried that I might've damaged my headphones. If its just a sign that I'm "bass"ing it up too much and that i've got to tone it down, I'd be very relieved.

What I'm worried most is that it's only on the left side. If it was both sides then that might mean that its just a symptom but not damage.

EDIT EDIT: Happens mainly on the "thumping" sort of bass. Think Linkin Park's Shadow of the day.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Try messing with the ear pad where it touches the driver. There might some hair/dust stuck between the driver and the pad. My friend had a similar issue with his AD700 a couple of days ago and that fixed it.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Oh wow! Thanks you guys. I tried pressing around the headphones and blew compressed air around it and the fluttering is gone! Well, I mean it got much much worse at first. But after a second gust it cleared out.
Thanks! I never knew that could've happened.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 8
You may wanna be carefull with compressed air, depending on how its compressed.
Compressed air from a spray can shouldnt damage much when used from a small distance but i definitely wouldn't be comfortable blasting compressed air form a decent compressor on the drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back