Cleer Next Impression - mini review
Oct 29, 2019 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Received the Cleer Next Headphones.

Here are my initial impressions...

They are a dynamic ironless magnesium driver design that sounds close to Planar Technology,
If you didn't know they were a dynmaic headphone, you'd think they were refined Planar Tech.

If you are looking for an impressive set of microscopes for your ears, then lay your money down, for these.
There is nothing that ive heard, in this price range - $699 USD, that surpasses these headphones regarding detailed sonic analysis of all your favorite tunes.
Phrases like. : Analytical Perfection..... Sonic Transparency....... Detailed analysis........would definitely categorize what this set of headphones can do.
Perhaps the cliche of all cliche's is... "You'll hear things in your music that you've never heard before"... and this is NO JOKE when you strap these babies on your head and fire up your favorite "go to" song list.

Initially, you'll feel they are "sort of bright sounding", but that is always the Ear's initial reaction to an analytical listening experience as provided by really good headphones, and these are really good headphones.
Yes, they are modestly tuned to be north of the Treble Neutral Zone, but, they dont really delve into the land of SSSSSSSSSSS......
Think "Crisp" treble, vs, 8kHz awful.
Soundstage is comfy wide.
Ear Cups are comfy, and mildy warming your ears while you listen.
Headphones are noticeable when worn, but not noticeably heavy.
The overall aesthetic of this Headphone is "High Tech"
The Cleer Next will not forgive any badly recorded music.
Do you love Low Rez MP3 files, then look elsewhere.

Bass response is more about accuracy and truth regarding presentation and balance, tho these headphones do reach quite deep.
Is the bass too accurate to give loves of thumping dance music an epiphany? Ummmm, id have to let you decide that....as these are not exactly a bass-lover's go to set, but, as im a person who wants balance and accuracy as my headphone's prime directive, vs, "fun to listen to", experience, .... then....im a bit anti-bass head headphones biased.
The Mids that are provided by the Cleer Next, are articulate and insightful, vs lush and smooth. Upper mids are slightly punched but not into the land of "HONK".

This is a set of headphones that i would say are designed to please audiophiles, but will please a studio professional a whole lot more.
There is a real sense of "listening to the Music Mix" when you listen to any song using the Cleer Next.

These are really good sounding headphones with real leather pads....:)

Comfort is 8/10
Fatigue Free Listening 8/10
Sound Quality is 8.8+
Build Quality is 9+
Satisfaction Guarantee for most buyers, i'd estimate at 7.9/10

Maybe the most remarkable thing about these headphones is how they retrieve so much detail and provide so much articulate clarity and musical accuracy, yet, never sound harsh... and all this from a non-planar design.

Who will love them? Those looking for all the musical details. The sound of these headphones reminds me of a "WHO" song from the '60s...."I can see for miles and miles".... as you will, with these on your ears.
Who will hate them? Extreme Bass lovers. Lovers of "rolled off treble"..

Box is good, nice interior.
Cable is (1) Long, with 1/4 Gold adapter.
Cable is thick, black, stiff, heavy, quality.
-
-
DSC09272.JPG

-
-
DSC09273.JPG

-
-
DSC09274.JPG

-
-
DSC09275.JPG

-
-
DSC09276.JPG

-
-

DSC09277.JPG

-
-
DSC09278.JPG

-
-
DSC09279.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi @FullBright1,

Nice mini review.
Good insight as always, good to know the Cleer have some potential & are worth looking into more as they were on my list for eventual consideration, I will certainly keep it in mind for the future.

Looks tempting but alas, got quite a few gear still on my list to clear before I even consider this, Verum 1 being the highest prority for headphone gear category then perhaps LCD 1 when there is a demo available in my location.
Not to mention exchange rate is a bit high for anything US based at this price so going to have to wait for a sale at the very least.

By the way, have you tried K Solo head amp from Lavry Engineering? Any thoughts if you have?

Keep up the great insight !

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi @FullBright1,

Nice mini review.
Good insight as always, good to know the Cleer have some potential & are worth looking into more as they were on my list for eventual consideration, I will certainly keep it in mind for the future.

Looks tempting but alas, got quite a few gear still on my list to clear before I even consider this, Verum 1 being the highest prority for headphone gear category then perhaps LCD 1 when there is a demo available in my location.
Not to mention exchange rate is a bit high for anything US based at this price so going to have to wait for a sale at the very least.

By the way, have you tried K Solo head amp from Lavry Engineering? Any thoughts if you have?

Keep up the great insight !

PaganDL, the Cleer's sound good.
Very articulate & pristine sound, yet, not sterile or cold....just very Cleer.....
Usually when a headphone is super analytical, vocals tend to sound the same.
Not really the case here..
Right now as im writing this, im listening to Azam Ali sing "in Other Worlds" from her Elysium For The Brave , album. Very ambient middle eastern influenced music wth her voice being the jewel of the sound. This album is well recorded and very well mixed.
The detail retrieval is intense. Bass is always balanced never overpowering.
These headphones are not thumpers. They are microscopes.
Modest volume yields good results as you travel along on the Midnight Train to Bangkok ........

I have not yet purchased the K Solo Head Amp.
Maybe a Christmas Gift to myself ..... :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks @FullBright1,

Good reference song, been a long time since I listened to Azam Ali, a very long time, I will go listen again now, thanks for reminding me about her music.
As to the Cleer sound, definitely sounds good...no pun intended...for giving it a shot so really appreciate the clarification & added detail in describing the sound signature, definitely confirmed on the short list.

I may have mentioned this before but we seem to share musical tastes & hearing, especially in how we both percieve sound... :) not sure if this is a good or bad thing but seems to be just is... shrug...

So when you say you have not purchased the K Solo yet & it is a possible Christmas Gift to yourself, it is worth considering, then?
Certainly be interested in your take on the head amp.

Regardless, I am considering a demo in the near future, so it be interesting to see if it suits.

Last thing, keep up the good work on your YT Channel, thanks for reminding me about Keren Ann too, vous etes fantastique !

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks @FullBright1,

Good reference song, been a long time since I listened to Azam Ali, a very long time, I will go listen again now, thanks for reminding me about her music.
!

Azam has a brand new Album out. "Phantoms".
I ordered it about a week ago.. When it arrives, i'll make a few videos and post on my utbechanl.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi @FullBright1,

I now have Azam's music on my Tidal list, so I will now remember, including the new album, it is actually the next album to play on the list, so good timing there.

I think the Cleer headphones, would give Audiophiles who love the HD800 something more affordable to smile about.
Sonically, Its in that same family of sound, generally, but not as bright.

Well, the only thing I will say about this is at least all the Senn lovers, especially those who disparage other good headphones, we both know they are out there, will at least grudingly admit there is something to consider headphone wise which is indeed potentially great that's not a Senn.
At least those would be the nicer comments but we also know how likely that's going to be either...
So while Senn sound isn't my go to preference, barring the 820, I certainly look forward to trying the Next eventually though it is a pity there is no demo for these where I am & it is unlikely it be sold outside the US any time soon...but as said, seems a worthwhile chance.

Honestly, can't remember how AKGs sound, it has been a long, long time since I heard their sound, not to mention where I am, it is almost non existent &/or near impossible to demo so I'll take your word for it.

Nothing wrong with microscopes...oh well, maybe one day.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 9
I was able to listen to these for a while, clear and detailed and never really found it fatiguing. Good headphone but I honestly thought they sounded a bit metallic was the main complaint I had about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back