clearest sounding digital cable up to 200$
Sep 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

[L]es

100+ Head-Fier
what's the clearest sounding digital cable i can get for under or equal to 200$ ?

my ota digital cable is clear but i can breakouts and dropouts at 96khz.. my conductor is next but is not as clear...

thanks !

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 34
/me love the Van Den Hul Optocoupler MK II. Which run for ~$150

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen to these audiophools!

Reducing jitter increases soundstage, FACT!

Jitter is caused by the devices at each end of the cable, rather than the cable itself. The cable has no timing clocks to produce jitter with. :-/

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 34
Are we talking optical or coax? Anyway, anything more than $50 is a waste.
For coax, buy nice connectors for $40 plus a run of some superbly shielded 75Ohm lead for another ten (if at all) and make yourself an excellent cable.
For optical, unless you have a run of more than 5 meters, anything above $5 will only improve on the looks of the cable. If you have 5 meters+ or some other cable issue, you may want to invest in a nice real glass job (say van den hul). Get a $5 cable with decent looking connectors. Get a $15 "thick" cable with metal connectors.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 34
[size=medium]ALL DIGITAL CABLES SOUND THE SAME[/size]

Get the cheapest and sturdiest digital cable you can find. It's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for one digital cable to sound "clearer" than another. Check out this similar thread for a basic explanation: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/us...uality-364565/

I work in the telecommunications industry setting up and installing headend systems, I'm also a physics grad student, I know very well how this technology works. Don't listen to the marketing lies, they're after your hard earned money.

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the clearest sounding digital cable i can get for under or equal to 200$ ?

my ota digital cable is clear but i can breakouts and dropouts at 96khz.. my conductor is next but is not as clear...

thanks !

digital cables will make a difference, and as part of the circuit including the sending and receiving devices, will effect the sound you hear. while this may be a function of less than perfect design of either the equipment or the cables, it is a reality. do some listeing tests of your own, and decide what sounds best for you, and fixes your problem.

this does not mean that more expensive is necessarily better, though. the audioquest cables are very good, and i would also look at the wireworld toslink (the pricier one, can't remember what it is called.)

never spend more than your ears can justify!

mark

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
digital cables will make a difference, and as part of the circuit including the sending and receiving devices, will effect the sound you hear.

No they wont.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
********!!!

obviously, his problem lies with the source.

Sure!
But he/she did not ask for help resolving the dropout issue. Just "the clearest sounding digital cable i can get for under or equal to 200$"...

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearest sounding cables are the ones with that clear translucent insulation. Really transparent!

Heh! Very good, I'll remember that one...

icon10.gif

EK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back