Clearaudio Cartridge help
Oct 29, 2006 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
I went to fire up my turntable tonight for the first time in months, and found this:

attachment.php

It still plays, and in fact seems to sound okay, but I am sure it can't be good. Suggestions?

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 7
That does not look good. I'd be worried about the stylus not hitting the record squarely and damaging one or both sides of the groove. Regardless of how it sounds I wouldn't use it.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 7
I had an Aurum Beta and the same thing happened. I used needle-nosed pliers to slowly bend the stylus back to very close to its original position. Sounded fine after that and no unusual wear was detected in the grooves.

Caveat alert. I did the same thing with another cartridge years before and it broke during the "straightening." It's obviously a delicate and iffy operation. So, you may want to contact Clearaudio to determine your best approach.

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon
Caveat alert. I did the same thing with another cartridge years before and it broke during the "straightening."

Yup, a gentle attempt at straightening has broken it in two. A little bit of searching reveals that this problem is endemic to these cartridges, and that Clearaudio's promise that they can be easily repaired (the main reason i bought this over other similarly priced cartridges) is not quite true. That is, they can be repaired, but CA won't supply the materials to do it. Very frustrating.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi,

i suggest you go over to the Vinyl Asylum and look up CA over there. i think you will find that the low level carts they sell are OEM Audio Technica (same as the Linn K-9) and you may be able to replace the cantilever with another one yourself.

Bending a cantilever is not limited to Clearaudio, just about any exposed cantilever can be bent, and Garbz is right, do not play a cart with a bent cantilever on any record you care about.

here is the thread:
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?...nn&r=&session=

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 7
i just realised that thread is brand new!!! i was thinking of an older one with the same subject matter and mosin's pics.
But it seems you should be well on your way to finding a replacement stylus.

s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back