Clear Tune Monitors CT-6E Elite Flagship Thread
Apr 17, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #31 of 78

Are you ready to do a comparison between the Legend R's and the ct500's or are you waiting for the CT-9E's for the write-up?

Wait what a CT-9E? 

Hahaha, Cecala meant the CT-6E i'm sure :D. I'm waiting for the CT-6E to arrive first since its in the same family sound as CT500. So it will be easier to compared between the three. However, that said, i have done extensive AB-ing with the legend and CT500 so i'm pretty sure on their differences by now :D.

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #33 of 78
So i finally got a chance to go to Orlando and get impressions done and demo some of the units

I was a kid in a candy store 
tongue_smile.gif

sadly no CT-6E demo unit was available it was flown out on Monday to Frankfurt Germany for a venue

However...

the CT-500Elite was so there for me to enjoy and compare to the 200,300, and 400 so my impressions are on these models

volbeat- a broken man and the dawn 

Flembaz-Oito

My 2 primary test track are volbeat- a broken man and the dawn and Flembaz-Oito the first was 320kbp the last was FLAC but i generally listened to FLAC out of my phone these two tracks are just what i use to see what a head phone can do

The 200
It was clear and had a pretty flat presentation. Very fast and not really emphasizing anything and very easy to listen to. Clarity as it seems was the main focus on the sound here and it was the most clear of the lower models even just a tad clearer to my ear than the 400

The 300
This was a surprise to me as it was my least liked of the group there. It had alot more grunt in the low registers but it lost the depth and detail the 200s had and it also seemed to me alittle rolled off in the treble but over all it definitely had a more solid performance in bass but it fell short of what the 200s did well in

The 400
These were pretty good the speed was definitely up there handling my fast paced psytrance with easy and had good depth it seems alittle U shaped in its response but very competent. I like this just as much as the 200 and preferred its sound over the 300 and though it was great.As i previously mentioned it seems to loose just a hair of clarity but gains a much more fully fleshed out sound representation that the 200s just cant do with 2 drivers.

The 500
These come at a steep price yes but from listening to it its price is completely justified. It sounded over all like a 200 on steroids. More speed more detail more clarity more separation and an almost effortless layering these had me smiling alot. The most striking aspect to the 500s is how full and meaty the sound is while being so Crystal clear it made the other models seem veiled and muddy in comparison.

Overall the 200 and 500 had me very impressed. The 200s are a mind blowing value given the price and put most iems in the $350 bracket to shame now the 500s were of such a high caliber compared to anything i have ever hear that I'm just simply blown away. The 200s had the sound preference that i enjoyed down solid and the 500 just seem to mirror those efforts for the flattish sound and just improve upon it tremendously. The sales rep/store keeper/audiologist owns a 200 himself and echoed my thoughts on the 500. Now i did asked about his experience with the CT-6E demo unit and to him he feels it extends the clarity a bit and gives a very interesting soundstage while keeping the 500s Hallmark mids intact.

This journey on headfi started for me back in 2006 when i was still in high school and i have always wanted CIEMs of my own and the one i truly wanted wasn't available for audition and it made me pretty bummed but i have alot of faith for CTMs ability after i demoed there units in the shop. I still ordered the CT-6E! I have always been a head-fier who wasn't been afraid to take the path less traveled and i feel CTM is doing great things here in Orlando and they truly know what they are doing and will continue to grow in the head-fi community. These folks at CTM are a humble small group but these folks know there stuff.

My unit will be here in about 5-6 week unfortunately and the wait is going to drive me nuts but I'm looking forward to it!

edited for my super bad spelling

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #34 of 78
Nice stuff my friend. I also feel the 200 and 500 are standouts, with the 6E boasting an interesting soundstage. Spot on. These made-in-USA iems definitely punch above their weight!

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #35 of 78
There are my very first CIEM universal units that i have ever auditioned, so my comparison experience is limited, but they've blown away anything I've ever used. I'm sure they do well in comparison to other CIEM offerings as your impressions speak volumes about that already. I can wait for my unit to come in i opted for white and black marble swirls for the shells and custom art for the face plate. While i was there and I'm sorry to say i didn't have a pic of it but they had a pretty neat get up with there cable selection they let me back and pick the cable of my choice and length, very friendly and helpful. If this experience is anything like this at other manufacturers id implore other to try out ciems.

I wonder what venue the CT-6E demo unit is at it would be great for more folks to audition the unit and give there feed back.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #36 of 78
  There are my very first CIEM universal units that i have ever auditioned, so my comparison experience is limited, but they've blown away anything I've ever used. I'm sure they do well in comparison to other CIEM offerings as your impressions speak volumes about that already. I can wait for my unit to come in i opted for white and black marble swirls for the shells and custom art for the face plate. While i was there and I'm sorry to say i didn't have a pic of it but they had a pretty neat get up with there cable selection they let me back and pick the cable of my choice and length, very friendly and helpful. If this experience is anything like this at other manufacturers id implore other to try out ciems.

I wonder what venue the CT-6E demo unit is at it would be great for more folks to audition the unit and give there feed back.

You will be amazed man!!! My ct500 is well above the best CIEMS i have heard too :D. You will love the CT-6E if you like the interesting soundstage:D.

Darn wished i could visit them too! Awesome and friendly people they are!

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #37 of 78
Good write up Libertad, look forward to your full comparison when the goods arrive. Have enjoyed that second track you provided, it's a bonus here to discover new tracks, bravo.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #38 of 78
To those who have heard the CT-6E hows the clarity compare to the NT6 and JH13 Freqphase, as those two seem to be mentioned alot on headfi for there clarity?

May 5, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #39 of 78
ZzmadzZ, have your CT-6E's arrived as yet and if so, what's the verdict?

May 5, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #40 of 78
ZzmadzZ, have your CT-6E's arrived as yet and if so, what's the verdict?

Heya,

Yes it's here 2 weeks ago however I am caught up with my exams for the past weeks.

I will be putting up my impression tonight!

May 5, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #41 of 78
CT-6E Vs CT-500

Initial rough impressions.

Both sound signature is obviously tuned to be similar. Mids are bright and forward. Soundstage is huge and airy however, the focus of certain elements of the mids and soundstage makes these 2 IEM seems to be more different then similar. These 2 IEM's are definitely mids and vocal focussed.

Mids
CT-6E mids is a tad more recessed then the CT-500. However, it focussed more on the upper mids and this is very obvious when listening to female vocals. The focus in the upper mids region gives the female vocals a slight lift making it sound brighter and more pleasing. The lift in the upper mids also seems to stimulate a slightly clearer sound as compared to the CT-500.
However, for the CT-500, there is a focus in the mid mids and also the lower mids. This presentation of the mids provided a more coherent and slightly more laid back and neutral sounding sound as compared to the slightly aggressive CT-6E. However, the mids are a tad more forward and seems to be more focussed as compared to CT-6E, i will pick the CT-500 if most of the songs you are listening to are vocal centric as it just sound really impressive.

Highs
Highs for both IEM are very pleasing to my rather sibilant sensitive ears. No ear fatigue or any piercing pain. Even though there is a greater focus of the upper mids on the CT-6E, it was controlled and natural never harsh or metallic.

Bass
The bass content for both CT-6E and CT-500 seems to be similar to me. However, i will say that CT-6E's bass seems to be a little more detailed as compared to CT-500. However, CT-500's bass seems to hit a little harder i think this might be due to the special bore design it has? Both IEMs' bass hits fast with decay that is just right and not out of place. So EDM pieces will sound fast and good however, the bass might not be sufficient enough if you are a bass head. 

Soundstage
This is the most different between the two. The soundstage of the CT-6E seems to be the more enveloping type, music just seems to surround and wrap around your head. It managed to stimulate the sensation of having sound projecting at multiple dimensions and even from behind your head. The soundstage is also very wide, depth is deep but not as deep as CT-500. However layering via depth is not as impressive as CT-500. The special part of the CT-6E's soundstage is that it has this weird sensation on the mids which i feel some people might feel that it is weird upon first listen but i really love how special it sounded. The portraying of mids seems to be like a resonance wave that spreads and starts at the epicentre before diffusing to the left and right such as how ripples form in the water. It just makes the mids sound so naturally expansive and 3D?

The soundstage of the CT-500 is very very deep and height is very impressive. The depth is so impressive that you can actually feel each layers of the song and you can easily sieve the specific instruments or focus of the song out just by selecting through the layers. Everything is very natural and really impressively layered. It does present the same 3d effect of CT-6E but not with the same satisfying effect as the latter as it is very very minor.

This is just my short summary. I will need more time to AB between the 2, busy with exams previously thus not much time to AB.

Hope this helps!

May 5, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #42 of 78

Picture of my CT-6E. Perfect fit and looks terrific!! Cleartunes quality and artistic level is awesome!!

May 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #43 of 78

Picture of my CT-6E. Perfect fit and looks terrific!! Cleartunes quality and artistic level is awesome!!

Ah, so it was your CT6 that poisoned my friend to go with his swirl designed CT500. Haha.

And i finally did get to try the CT6. My ears pretty much agree to the findings here but despite the increased soundstage and layered bass i still prefer the CT500 slam and more lush mids. Would happily get both but the 3.6x exchange deficit would bury me six feet under. :frowning2:

May 5, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 78
Ah, so it was your CT6 that poisoned my friend to go with his swirl designed CT500. Haha.

And i finally did get to try the CT6. My ears pretty much agree to the findings here but despite the increased soundstage and layered bass i still prefer the CT500 slam and more lush mids. Would happily get both but the 3.6x exchange deficit would bury me six feet under. :frowning2:

Haha! They looked better real life man!!
Yes I agree that the ct500 sounds more lush and intimate in the mids!
Both ct6 and ct500 are indeed cousins but sound so different on certain parts!

Very interesting haha!! Really enjoying them both!

May 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #45 of 78
Haha! They looked better real life man!!
Yes I agree that the ct500 sounds more lush and intimate in the mids!
Both ct6 and ct500 are indeed cousins but sound so different on certain parts!

Very interesting haha!! Really enjoying them both!

Lucky you. Damn jealous. Haha XD

But i supposed CT500 works much better with male vocals too, thats what i find. I always find good male vocals the benchmark since female ones are oh so easy to please. Deep bass like vocals especially for blues seems further back, while CT500 is front row seats, CT6 places you somewhere on the 7th row, and slightly thin as well in comparison.

I guess ill go poison myself again today. Hopefully i can sell my Supra 2 off as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back