Clear Tune Monitors CT-500 Elite Review Thread
Oct 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #76 of 95
Word of caution regarding the hard case that CTM ships with the CT-500's.  It's made by Pelican and appeared very well built however DO NOT trust your expensive monitors to this case.  

Here is my story:  I kept the case clipped to my laptop bag since day one. It typically travels from my office to the parking lot about 1/2 a block away.  Sadly I arrived at work last Thursday only to find the carabiner clipped to my bag with no case attached! I don't recall any serious bumps or hard hits but clearly at some point it was jarred hard enough to break off without my noticing. It had been 2 days since I used the monitors and after retracing steps and searching everywhere it seems my dear CT-500 monitors are now lost for good.  Very sad.

Lessons: 1) Don't use the clip on the CTM supplied case. 2) If you take your CIEM out and about include your contact info with them with a promised reward if found and returned.  I've always done this with my phones and I really wish I'd done it with my monitors too.  As customs they are of little or no use to anyone else so the odds of getting them back are pretty good if you attach a decent incentive.  Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.  
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #77 of 95
Damn the feelz are feel i wish you the best

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #78 of 95
  Word of caution regarding the hard case that CTM ships with the CT-500's.  It's made by Pelican and appeared very well built however DO NOT trust your expensive monitors to this case.  

Here is my story:  I kept the case clipped to my laptop bag since day one. It typically travels from my office to the parking lot about 1/2 a block away.  Sadly I arrived at work last Thursday only to find the carabiner clipped to my bag with no case attached! I don't recall any serious bumps or hard hits but clearly at some point it was jarred hard enough to break off without my noticing. It had been 2 days since I used the monitors and after retracing steps and searching everywhere it seems my dear CT-500 monitors are now lost for good.  Very sad.

Lessons: 1) Don't use the clip on the CTM supplied case. 2) If you take your CIEM out and about include your contact info with them with a promised reward if found and returned.  I've always done this with my phones and I really wish I'd done it with my monitors too.  As customs they are of little or no use to anyone else so the odds of getting them back are pretty good if you attach a decent incentive.  Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.  
frown.gif

Oh my, I am really sorry to hear this. I have to ask though, why would you leave such an expensive thing dangling from a clip attached to a laptop bag? Should't you be keeping the case inside the bag? Anyways I still hope you somehow manage to find them. Best of luck!

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #80 of 95
Why is a question I've been asking myself too.  I guess I trusted that the case was made well enough that it wouldn't just break off without my noticing. On appointments or anytime I was "out and about" I would unclip them toss them in the bag but to and from the office it was convenient to just clip them to my bag,  It's only 100 feet  from my office door to where I park and I clearly didn't see this coming.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #81 of 95
  Why is a question I've been asking myself too.  I guess I trusted that the case was made well enough that it wouldn't just break off without my noticing. On appointments or anytime I was "out and about" I would unclip them toss them in the bag but to and from the office it was convenient to just clip them to my bag,  It's only 100 feet  from my office door to where I park and I clearly didn't see this coming.

The fault here lies with Pelican (unless it was the carabiner that broke).  You should write them explaining what happened, especially if the case itself broke.  My condolences for your loss.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #84 of 95
  Has anyone tried WLS series?

I auditioned* them during Canjam a couple years ago, while looking for my first CIEM.  My expectations after hearing the CT-500 were high, as those were the closest to the K10s at the show as far as my ears were concerned, and the K10s were tops after a few separate visits to their booth.  I wanted to like the WLS, given the extra touch of style the wood offered.  

I used the same music and rig I'd just used for the CT-500s, and found the WLS to be overly warm and a touch bloated to my tastes, where the 500s were tighter, clearer, more monitor-like.  I remember they had really strong and forward mids that I didn't enjoy all that much.  The WLS did not suck by any means, but I found them a little too colored for my tastes. I ended up buying the CT-500s and have been very pleased since then, no regrets not going for the WLS.

*That is, under show conditions (i.e. listening to too much gear for hours on end, a couple too many $15 hotel scotches, hype everywhere, and OH LOOK A SHINY THING OVER THERE!), wearing universal versions that probably didn't render the WLS as intended in custom form.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #86 of 95
  Thanks. Seems like ct500 has better value. 

too bad that usually here , hype > value

ct500 were on my radar as a very good ciem that would not bleed your wallet due to overpricing/hype

hoping small companies that make good,no overpriced ciems got more love here

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #87 of 95

too bad that usually here , hype > value

ct500 were on my radar as a very good ciem that would not bleed your wallet due to overpricing/hype

hoping small companies that make good,no overpriced ciems got more love here

Don't get me wrong; I bought the CTMs because at the time I couldn't afford K10s, which won the show for me.  The CTM-500s were really close as far as my ears were concerned and I felt it was time to get some CIEMs, so my budget won out.  I have no regrets, though, and since making some improvements in my portable and desktop source, the CTMs appear to be scaling up nicely.  I auditioned all these at the show on an iPhone with 16/44 ALACs playing through an ALO International, and since then I've added a RWAK240+, a Lyr2+BIMBY rig, and DHC cables.  The CTMs have had zero problems keeping up and in fact have impressed me quite a bit. CTM does a poor job marketing themselves to this community, and so they're definitely an under-the-radar performer.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #88 of 95
what's their sound signature like ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back