Clear MG Vs Elex
May 5, 2022 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking about selling my MG in exchange for an Elex. I appreciate most everything about the MG, especially the smoothness in the upper frequencies. The one issue I have with them is that lead vocalists, male and female, generally sit back in the mix, behind back up vocalists and instruments.
My concern with the Elex is that it may be a little too bright and shouty for my tastes. If it has considerably more extension in the presence region, it probably won't work.
Can anyone provide a brief comparison between the two? Is the Elex as dynamic as the MG? I primarily listen to rock and metal, so if the Elex has a lesser out of the head experience, or doesn't have the resolution chops as the MG, I'm okay with that. A lot of my music is rare 80s hair metal, and they can definitely be poorly recorded. Will the Elex be a little more forgiving in this regard?

May 6, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 19
Ok, so I had Clear MG and also Elex. Kept Elex. I would say a couple little things here. The resolution is better on the MG. Particularly the midrange was really good IMO. It pulled a lot of nuance, texture, and micro detail out of the mids and had a fine level of detail that the Elex lacks. The Elex has a similar amount of dynamics although I would put the MG a little ahead. The Elex has a less natural sound IMO, it is crisp but slightly metallic. That metallic type of sound is something that I don't really mind as what I listen to doesn't demand the most natural timbre for the most part. The Elex IMO is better in openness. The soundstage sounds bigger and they sound more open and expansive than the MG. The thing that sold the Elex for me was the cost being $400 vs the MG which is over double. It keeps a lot of the house sound and is a lot cheaper. It's less resolving, more metallic sounding, but retains a lot of the DNA. Still I really enjoyed the MG (a lot) and technically that was a great headphone and was a very enjoyable listen. I was just at the conclusion that I could do without it with owning the Elex and I like a variety of headphones so the cost savings can go directly into other favorites of mine.

And again, the more open soundstage was something that I really liked about the Elex. I would say hold the MG and pick up an Elex on the used market. Live with them both for a little while and see what happens. Having things side by side helps to do that back and forth comparison which is difficult to try by memory.

To answer your question on brightness and shoutiness... Yes, the Elex fares worse in that area as well. As to how much that will bother you, that is again to personal taste.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 19
Ok, so I had Clear MG and also Elex. Kept Elex. I would say a couple little things here. The resolution is better on the MG. Particularly the midrange was really good IMO. It pulled a lot of nuance, texture, and micro detail out of the mids and had a fine level of detail that the Elex lacks. The Elex has a similar amount of dynamics although I would put the MG a little ahead. The Elex has a less natural sound IMO, it is crisp but slightly metallic. That metallic type of sound is something that I don't really mind as what I listen to doesn't demand the most natural timbre for the most part. The Elex IMO is better in openness. The soundstage sounds bigger and they sound more open and expansive than the MG. The thing that sold the Elex for me was the cost being $400 vs the MG which is over double. It keeps a lot of the house sound and is a lot cheaper. It's less resolving, more metallic sounding, but retains a lot of the DNA. Still I really enjoyed the MG (a lot) and technically that was a great headphone and was a very enjoyable listen. I was just at the conclusion that I could do without it with owning the Elex and I like a variety of headphones so the cost savings can go directly into other favorites of mine.

And again, the more open soundstage was something that I really liked about the Elex. I would say hold the MG and pick up an Elex on the used market. Live with them both for a little while and see what happens. Having things side by side helps to do that back and forth comparison which is difficult to try by memory.

To answer your question on brightness and shoutiness... Yes, the Elex fares worse in that area as well. As to how much that will bother you, that is again to personal taste.
Is it the metallic sound that makes the Elex come across brighter? Do you ever find it too forward, harsh, or in your face? Which headphone would you choose for rock and metal, and more so lower quality recordings?
I just sold my MG, so I'm off to something else. I had the Magni, which did just about everything right, except the presence region became fatiguing after a short period of time. I wonder how the Elex compares to the Magni in the upper frequencies. Thanks for the response!

May 6, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 19
Yes, metallic sound makes it seem brighter, but it also just seems brighter anyways to me. The Elex has a unique kind of sound to me. I would say it can be a fairly aggressive sounding headphone vs others. I don't listen to much rock and metal but can imagine the Elex would lean intense for it. It is pretty aggressive and intense as far as headphones go vs something more relaxed or chill. Good if you like an engaging listen. There's a lot of attack from the drivers.

Have you considered HE-500? Those are really good and I enjoy them with rock and pop. You can fine tune them as well with pad selection. They are more relaxed with a more liquid and smooth midrange but still very detailed and engaging all around. However, they can be more difficult to find at this point. What I love about the 500 is the balance - they are a complete sounding headphone and don't lack anywhere.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 19
Yes, metallic sound makes it seem brighter, but it also just seems brighter to me. The Elex has a unique kind of sound to me. I would say it can be a fairly aggressive sounding headphone vs others. I don't listen to much rock and metal but can imagine the Elex would be intense for it. It is pretty aggressive and intense as far as headphones go vs something more relaxed or chill. Good if you like an engaging listen. Have you considered HE-500? Those are really good and I enjoy them with rock and pop. They are more relaxed with a more liquid and smooth midrange but still very detailed and engaging. However, they can be more difficult to find at this point.
Nah, unfortunately I don't have anything to really drive those atm. I think I'll give a used Elex a shot. Do you find the Elex more aggressive than the MG? I'm okay with that, it's just the metallic bright sound that causes hesitation. Which pads are you running on your Elex?

May 6, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 19
Stock pads on them. It's a very nice headphone IMO and well worth the try if you generally liked your MG and the house sound from the MG. Both MG and Elex were aggressive to me, I think Elex somewhat more so. The move you would be making is the one I made after owning them both, and I think the Elex is a great buy provided you don't take offensive to that metallic twinge and their intensity. Intensity and engagement is something I like in a headphone and is something that makes me enjoy what the Elex offers.

Plus if you get a good deal on a used pair you can just resell them if they don't do the trick for you. It's always hard to describe sound over a forum but I think for me the standout characteristics of the Elex have been conveyed.

Let me know what you think after you give them some listening time.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 19
Awesome, very good. That's what I'm after, just a little more aggression than the what the MG offered, and it will be there for me. Hopefully the vocals are a little more immediate and sit up front further, the high highs are a little more extended, and it sounds a little fuller with more note weight. Oh, and drum kits sound the same as they do on the MG. If this somewhat true, I already know I'll like them.... Depending on the upper mids. But hopefully they handle equalization well. This has really helped 👍

May 6, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm thinking about selling my MG in exchange for an Elex. I appreciate most everything about the MG, especially the smoothness in the upper frequencies. The one issue I have with them is that lead vocalists, male and female, generally sit back in the mix, behind back up vocalists and instruments.
My concern with the Elex is that it may be a little too bright and shouty for my tastes. If it has considerably more extension in the presence region, it probably won't work.
Can anyone provide a brief comparison between the two? Is the Elex as dynamic as the MG? I primarily listen to rock and metal, so if the Elex has a lesser out of the head experience, or doesn't have the resolution chops as the MG, I'm okay with that. A lot of my music is rare 80s hair metal, and they can definitely be poorly recorded. Will the Elex be a little more forgiving in this regard?
I'm selling my Elex specifically because it doesn't have the resolving speed I'm looking for, so I'm moving to try out the amt driver in goldplanar gl850...I was on the fence with it because it sounded so nice and warm with beautifully smooth vocals out of my xduoo mt604 and ru6(entry level tubes and r2r)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back