Cleaning the UE Super.Fi 5 Pros - no liquids?
May 27, 2008 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched around the forum for wax cleaning, and I'm hesitant to follow up on some advice. I have some wax stuck way inside the phones, beyond the reach of any cleaning device, with no way to pull it out. I read people suggesting to put them in water/peroxide/alcohol, but the user guide specifically says not to expose the phones to water under any circumstance.

What do I do?

May 28, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 9
Bump.

May 28, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've searched around the forum for wax cleaning, and I'm hesitant to follow up on some advice. I have some wax stuck way inside the phones, beyond the reach of any cleaning device, with no way to pull it out. I read people suggesting to put them in water/peroxide/alcohol, but the user guide specifically says not to expose the phones to water under any circumstance.

What do I do?

i dont know what people recommend putting them in water or other liquids as this is clearly a very bad idea, so whatever you do dont do that, many liquids can ruin the finish on the phones also (ofcourse not water tho).

anyway...the way i clean my phones is litterally with a bit of spit and polish, just wet your finger with your tongue, this way you can stay away from the entrance of the phones and wipe the phones over with your finger and dry with a bit of tissue or cotton very gently as to avoid scratching or anythin.

with the super fi's tho as its a matte kinda finish it won't shine up nice like a well used triple fi or se530 would.

as for cleaning deep inside the nozzle, its a very difficult task and the idea is generally to use a wax removal stick before so much wax gets in it pushes further in. so as a result there really isnt much you can do without risking damage. if it does not effect sound quality then id advise you just leave em be and be sure to remove any further wax that enters quicker.

if the sound is deteriorated then contact UE for further advice, hope this helps
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 9
I did contact them, more than a week ago. No answer yet...

May 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I have always used individually packaged small isopropyl alcohol wipes. A small box of a couple hundred will last years. I use it on Shure olives as well as IEM housings. Use very lightly only to get surface dirt and oils off. On Shure olives be sure to not compress the foam. Just very light to cut through the oil.

Soap seems to leave a residue and continual rinsing just seems to trash the foamie.

May 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm talking about the inside of the phone, not the tips. There are two small oval openings that are inside the phones (half a centimeter under the main opening) and they're clogged. Not only that, there's gunk beneath them and there's no way to actually get there.

How does water harm the drivers, anyway?

May 28, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Can't you just hold the IEM upside down, take a pin and go around the inner perimeter of each hole to dislodge the wax to allow it to fall out? Obviously being careful only going in about 1/8th inch or so.

Water and circuitry...not a good combo.

May 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm afraid I'll get in too deep and prick the sensitive parts.

Well, the circuitry isn't powered and wouldn't be while I wash it...

May 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 9
The left side of my out-of-warranty Shure E3C IEMs was jammed with wax (pilot error with the removal tool). So, I opted for desperate measures. I grabbed a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a small glass. Poured the peroxide in the glass and dropped in the E3Cs (both sides) and left them for an overnight soak. No relief.

So, on to Plan B. Back into the peroxide only this time I powered up an iPod, put in on shuffle and on AC power, cranked up the volume and let them soak for another night. Better but not cured. Time for yet another night of tunes in the peroxide.

Next time I checked there were bits of wax floating in the peroxide. Took them out of the peroxide, gave them a few solid taps to get the peroxide out and music! I've been using them ever since and they sound fine.

I DO NOT suggest you do this if your IEMs are under warranty or if the repair/replacement cost is reasonable. Otherwise, what the heck; nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides, IEMs in peroxide while blasting tunes full blast sounds, well, interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back