Cleaning the rack and speakers
Feb 23, 2002 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Does anyone else here clean their stuff every once in a while, as well as clean the pile of dust behind the stereo?

I just got done cleaning my rack and components (there's balls of dust all over my shirt!). The bitch part is that over the years grease (from my mom's wonderful 8 hour tour of cooking daily!) and dust have clinged themselves onto the finish of the actual rack and the sides of the speakers (i assume its formica?). I was wondering if there is any special cleanser to get this buildup off. Any help is appreciated!

Feb 23, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 11
Just use a damp soapy cloth to wipe the surface of the components, use isopropyl alcohol if you like. but not on spray painted product! the paint might come off! and don't use a household hoover, they are too powerfull, my mum broke my TV once just by vacuuming it one day!!!

speakers wise, use a damp cloth to wipe the cabinet, use isopropyl alcohol to clean the terminals.

Feb 23, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 11
I just did a quick cleaning of my HT rig today. Nothing fancy, just used a damp rag to clean the dust off.

Feb 23, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Isopropyl alcohol is a fabulous cleaner for electrical parts. However, NOT rubbing alcohol. It has additives. Go to the pharmacy and get 91% Isopropyl. Don't clean painted or other finished surfaces. What I've found works really well is paper towels, Bounty seems to be best, DAMPENED with Windex. Cuts just about anything in the way of dirty crud, and so far, I haven't found it to damage any surfaces.

One caveat for oiled finish real veneers. Either use the manufacturers recommended cleaners or get some wax type cleaner specially made for that type finish.

Otherwise, Windex and Isopropanol will do just about anything.

Feb 23, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Cool! I used some light soap with the rough side of a sponge. I also had some damp paper towels. Worked pretty well, but i can still feel the grease/grime buildup, maybe i should try that Isopropyl and give that a spin.

Feb 24, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Rough side of the spounge? are you mad? you'll sand the wood down in your speakers!

The finish on the "wood" is formica as far as i can tell, believe me these are cheap ass Fisher "Studio standard" speakers which aren't worth more than $5 IMO (boomy, muddy, bland, non existant highs, basically this is what the v600's must sound like in a speaker package!). By the way, it didn't scratch it one bit
wink.gif

I really don't use the speakers, so i'm kinda thinking about throwing them out for now, their hogging up too much space.

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 11
I use those Pledge "Grab-Its." They work great, especially with black components. I just ordered a black Salamander Archetype 5 shelf audio rack from Audio Advisor so I went out a bought a large pack today.

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 11
After you clean the metal and plastic parts you can spray some ArmorAll or Tempo in order to protect it and restore it (yep, just like a car). Those two products have teflon in them, so cleaning next time would be even easier, since dust, grime and grease won't be able to stick.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
After you clean the metal and plastic parts you can spray some ArmorAll or Tempo in order to protect it and restore it (yep, just like a car). Those two products have teflon in them, so cleaning next time would be even easier, since dust, grime and grease won't be able to stick.

Sounds like a plan man! I really appreciate all the info posted...time for the grime to be gone for good!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back