Cleaning sensor dust for the first time - One heck of an experience!
Apr 1, 2007 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
Was changing lenses quite a bit yesterday so I figured some dusts may have gotten in. NBTD earlier so I decided to check for dust....and:

1) Nasty dust (hmmm...kinda obscene....)
dust1a.jpg

2) ZOMGBBQWTF?!!!?!?!?!?! :shock:
dust2a.jpg

3) Finally!!!! Hooray!!! :lol:
dust3a.jpg

Who can guess What was in the second picture? :p

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Is this off the CCD?

Ooh, be careful man. Use compressed air and make sure you don't squeeze too hard. Otherwise you'll get liquid condensation on the CCD if a jet of air comes out too fast.

Heh - I ruined a D1 like that!

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 9
The first dust was just somthing really small on the sensor...blew that away easily with my giotto air blower....then when I took another test shot...there was this 1 big odd thing there and it really gave me a shock...I was damn sure the blower didnt touch the sensor...I then inspector the sensor again and found a transparent hair on it...I think it's my dog's....blew it off an viola...but that sure freaked me out back there.

I never use compress air for anything, natural air is the way to go
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was changing lenses quite a bit yesterday so I figured some dusts may have gotten in. NBTD earlier so I decided to check for dust....and:

1) Nasty dust (hmmm...kinda obscene....)
dust1a.jpg

2) ZOMGBBQWTF?!!!?!?!?!?! :shock:
dust2a.jpg

3) Finally!!!! Hooray!!! :lol:
dust3a.jpg

Who can guess What was in the second picture? :p

Wow, was that a UFO?

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this off the CCD?

Ooh, be careful man. Use compressed air and make sure you don't squeeze too hard. Otherwise you'll get liquid condensation on the CCD if a jet of air comes out too fast.

Heh - I ruined a D1 like that!

Don't use compressed air at all.

A Rocket Blower and Photoshop's Spot Healing Brush Tool work for me so far.

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 9
I went to my camera shop yesterday to get a monopod, and also asked them about any sensor cleaners. I had read that there are different types for whether your sensor is tin oxide coated or not (the camera that I'm getting happens to be: Canon 5D). So I specifically asked the salesman if this was the right cleaner for the 5D, as I had read that if you use the wrong cleaner you'll damage your sensor. He said it was, as he looked at a compatibility chart he had in back of the case. While he was ringing me up, he thanked me for the patronage. Saying that it's hard being a photo shop these days, with every chain selling digital cameras, and that being small, they couldn't discount their prices. I thanked him for being in business, because they are the only local store that carries digital camera supplies as well as that old darkroom equipment stuff
icon10.gif
Lo and behold, when I got back home, I looked up this cleaner on the internet. They sold me the wrong cleaner!!!!! So I have to go back and either make an exchange or return. If I had ordered of the internet, I wouldn't had been given the wrong advice
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, this brings up a good question.....whether I should bother getting the right cleaner, when I notice on Canon's website, they only recommend using air to clean the sensor. That if it's something really stuck on there, to not wipe it, but to have an authorized Canon center clean it. Since this is such a delicate thing, I'm wondering if I should even bother with trying to use a sensor cleaner. I have read on forums how many Canon 5D users ruined their sensor because this sensor cleaner maker didn't know about tin oxide at that point. Since they're showing their ineptness at researching their compatible products, I'm kinda wary about using a 3rd party sensor cleaner. Does anyone here swear by them?

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 9
If you get annoyed with spots that small, shooting DSLR is going to be HELL for you. Dust Spots only show up in large flat-colored areas and are usually much easier to fix with the healing brush/clone tool than with a sensor brush. I only clean mine when it gets excrutiatingly bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back