Cleaning Sennheiser CX-300?
Mar 17, 2007 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had my CX300s for about a month now and I really like them -- they're just what I needed for non-critical listening. The problem is that yesterday, I noticed the sound balance had shifted quite significantly to the left year. I bought mine from an authorized dealer, so I can send them in for warranty repair/replacement, but before I do that, I wonder if there's any way I can get behind the metal grilles to see if there's any ear wax trapped there.

I did a search and found one thread where a poster claimed he could push in the metal grilles and then pry them off with a toothpick, but I tried that and it doesn't seem like it works. I'm wondering if that poster had one of the many counterfeit pairs floating around.

Has anyone had any luck cleaning their CX-300s? How did you do it? I'm thinking of wetting a toothbrush with hydrogen peroxide, which is a solvent for earwax, and then brushing the grilles lightly. Good idea? Bad?

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd try gently pressing the business end of the 'phone into a sponge wetted with peroxide - perhaps several times.

less agressive, but less likely to get peroxide places you don't want it.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 7
mm, I've just always brushed the wax off with a v. small stiff brush. I wonder if you could get some tweezers with fine points to stick into the grille a bit and then pull it back out. You don't want to mangle the grille either.....

Fran

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 7
I think the ideal would be a foolproof method for disassembling the capsule, so that one can just toss the nozzle of the thing in a 2% peroxide bath.

I don't see that happening though.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I asked a similar Q of the Sennheiser tech's and they said to NOT use Alcohol or most any other liquid on the OMX70's I just bought. That unit is designed to resist sweat, btw. Just a caution to you. If in warranty-call Senn and ask them or arrange to have your CX300's serviced.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc836 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked a similar Q of the Sennheiser tech's and they said to NOT use Alcohol or most any other liquid on the OMX70's I just bought. That unit is designed to resist sweat, btw. Just a caution to you. If in warranty-call Senn and ask them or arrange to have your CX300's serviced.

I can confirm that. I ruined a pair of Sennheiser MX500s by trying to clean them with alcohol. I think hydrogen peroxide will be fine though, it's basically just like water (H2O2) and the CX300 tube is deeper. I think I'm going to try it, first by wiping with a cloth one poster suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back