Cleaning old headphone: foamcrumble inside
Aug 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

arijspieter

New Head-Fier
So I recently found out we still have a very nice pair of headphones (Philips N6330) lying around at home and decided to try them out (parents thought they were broken since they hardly output anything without an amp lol). Yesterday I cleaned them out and opened them to see that the foam inside was crumbling a lot so I just shook them until all the foamcrumble had fallen out.

What is the importance of the foam in the cups? Would replacing all the foam noticeably improve the sound or is it fine like it is now? If you think it would be worthwhile to replace the foam, where/what should I buy?

edit: btw, it really seems that the sound has improved after cleaning them out and also removing the loose foam. as you can see in the photo, I leaved the non-crumbling foam in place. bass response is really, really impressive for a pair of headphones IMO

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 4
  I don't know these particular can, but it appears that the foam, almost certainly degenerated over time (and maybe where and how the cans were stored), is dampening material.

Yes, definitely degenerated over time - these where bought during the '70s and have probably never been used the last 20 years. still sound great though
I saw someone on a dutch forum with the same cans and the same "problem" - he stated that he replaced it so I'll probably do that to if I know what to use/buy for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back