Clean (noise-free) portable amps with variable gain?
Dec 9, 2005 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys. I need some suggestions. I guess I'm being lazy, since if I search for 5 hours I'll probably find what I need. But, oh so much work to do
frown.gif
I just don't have the time.

I need a good portable amp that doesn't have any background hiss. I just got the ES2, and it has even more of a hiss-pickup problem than the UM2. The Porta Corda Mk II that I've been using on and off is, well, unusable. There's simply way, way too much hiss. There's also too much gain when used out of high-output sources, and the left channel is weaker than the right at a low volume setting.

Hence, I need something that a) has no hiss whatsoever, b) has a variable gain switch, so that it can drive the ES2 and the HD600 alternatively, and c) is portable. The more portable it is, the better.

Budget doesn't matter, as long as the amp is good. If it's a good clean $200 amp I'll take it, but if it's a $1000 amp that can replace all the other dynamic amps that I have or ever will have, I'll take it too. As long as it's portable. Of course, I'll prefer it to cost less.

I'm not buying right this minute, and probably not for a month. I just want some ideas.

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 5
The Hornet has a gain switch and I didn't notice and noise or hiss when I heard it.

Dec 9, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 5
I'll second the Hornet recommendation. No hiss with my UE-10's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back