Classifieds: Why does everyone remove the asking price after an item sells?
Jul 29, 2007 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
When I buy or sell an item I like to browse previous classifieds to help determine a fair market price. But more often than not the prices are gone. Why?
confused.gif

I understand that the final selling price is none of my business (that's private between the buyer and the seller) but that's not being revealed by leaving the asking price. IMO, having a record of previous sale prices helps establish a fair market value and benefits everyone.

Who benefits by deleting the price, and why do people do it?

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 18
I don't mean to be rude but please use the search function; there are several multiple page threads on this topic. Most of these threads end in heated debate and it really isn't worth it.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 18
Before somebody stabs you with the hit-the-search-button knife, I'm going to tell you that it's been (at many occasions) discussed before and it has been decided that moderators are best left to not intervene.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 18
it annoys me too (how much should I ask for my ATH-900's!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

in any event I think it's just that sellers don't want to confuse anyone that they're still available and receiving PMs from other interested parties. Easier to replace the price with "SOLD" and be done with it.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 18
It's like clockwork.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like clockwork.

indeed, as soon as the last thread about this falls off of the first 2 pages a NEW one is created.

perhaps it would be better to keep one thread running forever than to create multiple ones.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like clockwork.

Maybe because it's a valid question?
wink.gif

But yeah, I should have searched better so I deserve flaming for that (in my defense I did run a search but "remove price" are common words and bring up a lot of unrelated looking crap. Running it in the titles alone brings up nothing).

Ironically, I spent most of today searching this site today, but not on this topic.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion is $OLD

Thanks for looking.

How much did it go for? I'm thinking of selling mine.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 18
Some generous people often don't want others to know of their generosity and end up receiving nothing but low-ball offers for other things they sell.

I personally do it to annoy people like you.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally do it to annoy people like you.

Geez, I hope you're kidding, but I don't see a smilie at the end.

There sure seems to be an awful lot of hostility about this issue.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There sure seems to be an awful lot of hostility about this issue.

I think that it is a divisive issue that has been discussed to death, so people get annoyed seeing it asked over and over again.

But, this post was great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i_will_use_google_before_asking_dumb_questions.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back