Classical
Sep 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #47 of 111
I dare to suggest Beethoven's Symphonies - At least the 5th, 6th and 9th - directed by Abbado or Thielemann, not Karajan, for starting.
Thielemann is a living legend already. And Abbado also has gone a lot around... And at least these were recorded in the last decade, so now you can get both Beethoven and sound quality, which makes it more enjoyable.

I love the opera but I wonder how you English-speaking-only guys can resist! By the way, according to me the real beginner must is the Aida by Verdi.
Mozart's operas such as Don Giovanni or Die Zauberflote are also very enjoyable but having those a very, very highly symbolical content, I would not go for a cold-barrel shot, it may be painful!

Then we have... Vivaldi, Le Quattro Stagioni - The Four Seasons. Here I'd tell: first get a string trio + piano version, then, the orchestra version.

Dvorak, Symphonies n°8 and n°9 to be listened to together, as "the Old and the New Worlds", already said.

Debussy, at least Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Stravinsky, at least Rite of spring and Firebird. (of which you may enjoy more a DVD/BRD version). Then comes his Symphony in C.

The I'd also look for some ancient orchestra that plays Vivaldi and Bach with original instruments . (or replicas LOL) I've got a pair of DG and oseau-lyre recordings... They make you understand many things.

And something that always helps (not a joke)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_%28film%29

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #48 of 111
Nearly fifty posts and no mention of Arvo Pärt?!
blink.gif

[size=1.8333em] Arvo Pärt - Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten[/size]

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #49 of 111
P.S.

I've met some audiofools. I mean, people who have like 20 discs, 20 CDs and a millionaire Hi-Fi system... Those have also their "must" audiophile's classical audiophiles CDs, which generally include

- The Carmina Burana, by Orff
- The Symphonie Fantastique, by Berlioz
- Toccata e Fuga in Re Minore, by Bach

I've never got why, but these three are always in the "test CD" tracklist.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #50 of 111
If you ever get a craving for the newer, more "challenging" classical music you should definitely have a look (listen 
biggrin.gif
) at these:
Carl Nielsen: Danish Composer (yay! there aren't so many) - I especially love his wind quintet, clarinet concert and 3. and 6. symphony.
John Adams: "Harmonielehre", "Fearful symmetries" and "The Chaiman dances" are really awesome (if you like this kind of minimalist music)
Kalevi Aho: Has written some truly weird stuff 
biggrin.gif
 (e.g. the contrabassoon concerto) - But his 7. symphony:"The insect symphony" is really cool, and the clarinet concerto is just awesome

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #51 of 111

Quote:
P.S.

I've met some audiofools. I mean, people who have like 20 discs, 20 CDs and a millionaire Hi-Fi system... Those have also their "must" audiophile's classical audiophiles CDs, which generally include

- The Carmina Burana, by Orff
- The Symphonie Fantastique, by Berlioz
- Toccata e Fuga in Re Minore, by Bach

I've never got why, but these three are always in the "test CD" tracklist.

I hope you aren't trying to make some comment about my post?

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #52 of 111

Quote:
I hope you aren't trying to make some comment about my post?

Not at all, not at all my friend! I was already writing my last post while you where publishing the video!

And... I hope anyone doesn't misunderstand me! Those pieces are all certainly a must, too! But beware of those who exhibit them too much!

Just it! My little experience with real audiophiles!!
wink_face.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #55 of 111
I'm 15 and i love Bach, Beethoven, Wagner ( Die Walküre must be my favourite and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg also) but what i don't get, what's so good about dubstep? It requiers allmost no skills at all

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #56 of 111
Since Andy Warhol, skills have not been valued in the creative arts. Everyone is looking for a shortcut. Check into recordings from the 30s, 40s and 50s. Skill was everywhere. It was the golden age of everything.

I've posted some of my transfers of historical recordings here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608187/digital-restoration-of-78s-links-updated-6-11

In particular, check out the first act of Die Walkure from 1935. The tenor, Lauritz Melchior is one of the greatest singers ever recorded, and the soprano, Lotte Lehmann is a brilliant actress. Follow along in the libretto with the narrative where she talks about her past. The way each word is expressed with meaning will astound you.

Oh, and the Wintersturme at the end... Forget about it. Never been topped.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #57 of 111
Yeah, now everybody can sing because of audiotune back with vinyl you couldn't correct anything. Could you suggest me some songs from the 30s 40s and 50s? I like the 60s as wel, the 70s also had some great music ( 1973 the dark side of the moon) now music is all electronic.,

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #58 of 111
The Walkure I liked to is 75 years old, but sounds very good and will suck you into the story. Compare it to the version you're familiar with. Let me know what you think.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #59 of 111
Wintersturme starts at around 47 minutes. Listen from there and see what you think.

Melchior does things there that requires incredible breath control. He hits the highest notes without strain. Many tenors today have to "bark" to get those notes out, and Melchior just slides right through them.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #60 of 111
I have a 1967 EMI Angel pressing i'll put a picture on of it tomorow :) i have everything from wagner like 20+ vinyl books i love the walküre but you also have to check out Wagner konzert and also Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back