classical
Mar 18, 2005 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tolsk

Head-Fier
ive always liked classical (i played the sax for 7 years) and i was wondering if anyone could reccomend some symphoneys or conchairtos (my spelling sucks dont be affended)

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Classical music spans several centuries and wildly different styles, it depends a lot on personal taste, and of course you don't know what you like yet. I would suggest you find your local classical FM station and listen for a while. Make not of which composers you like, and explore that period further. US radio stations tend to be somewhat tame and only well-known composers like Beethoven or Mozart far more often than more recent but less mainstream ones like Nielsen or Shostakovich.

The best option would be to go to an actual performance if your town has an orchestra. Even a humble orchestra can deliver a much more thrilling performance than any recording. Another option is to go to your local record store and sample the new CDs available.

Here is what I have been listening to lately, but keep in mind this may not necessarily be ideal for a newcomer to classical music:

Janacek - Glagolitic Mass, Sinfonietta
Prokofiev - Symphony No. 4 (original version)
Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem (German Requiem)
Vaughan Williams - Pastoral Symphony
Nielsen - Symphony No. 5
Mahler - Symphony No. 6
Bartok - Violin Concerto No. 2
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 6

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Majid,

Are you trying to scare the kid away from the music? You must be kidding when you make suggestions like that to a classical newbie!

Tolsk,

Look as some of the threads in music. Use your search thread button and put in some of these composer's names: Vivaldi, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and see what recordings have been discussed. Search violin music as well. You will find a whole bunch of suggestions of good recordings.

I would suggest you start with Mozart and Beethoven as they are very accessible. then move on to Bach. Vivaldi is also accessible so he is a good place to start. Brahms, Tchaikovsky (try his Serenade for Strings and Souvenirs de Florence -- they will probably sound very familiar to you) are also good starting points. Just go to the library if you have access to one and get some music and start listening. Another good way to break the ice is to listen to classical radio or one of the cable tv music stations (like listener's choice which is offered by the Time Warner Cable systems). That way you will start getting an idea of the things that intrigue you. NPR also has good classical programing. If you have itunes and broadband, they have some streaming radio. Listen to the classical offerings in headphones.

After you have some idea of what you like, come back and post a thread to ask for suggestions from composers.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 6
I think Rachmoninov, Tchaikovsky, Hugo Wolfe, Dvorak, Beethoven, Mozart and Stravinsky (yes, you heard me) are good places to start.

I'm currently listening to:
Buffalo Philharmonic playing Charles Tomlinsson Griffes' "The Pleasure Dome of Kubla Kahn"

it's totally sweet.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back