"Classical" suggestions
Apr 20, 2004 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MichaelFranks

1000+ Head-Fier
I just purchased "Music for a Glass Bead Game" after hearing Kodaly's "Duo for Violin and Violincello." What a great album!! I was delighted to discover that it is a hdcd as well, it sounds absolutely incredible. A few of the other "classical" stuff I have really enjoyed includes:

Balanescu String Quartet
Bela Bartok
Arvo Part
Eric Satie
Villa Lobos
Stockhausen - not really classical, but I love his work as a composer all the same
The Rachels - newer stringed compositions, great great stuff

I like dark/noisey stuff as well, any suggestions appreciated (especially exceptional recordings).

I don't have any really good classical resources, or friends that are particularly well versed so I figured I would ask you all.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Yeah, that Music For a Glass Bead Game is a beautiful recording. I saw Delmoni and Rosen play together at one of the Stereophile shows before they recorded this and they were sensational so it was a real treat when Marks put this one out. Which Rachel's album do you have? Selenography is really nice, but not as dark as some of the earlier ones. Or do you have the new one? I have the Music for Egon Shiele, The Sea and Bells (both on great sounding vinyl) and the Selenography CD. All are good but Selenography is the one I play most often. Along similar lines, have you heard Roger Eno The Flatlands? It's kind of like 18 short classical "sketches" in a modern expanded chamber orchestra like setting, not too different from Rachel's. Very nice CD. He's Brian Eno's brother, but plays this one straight, without any electronic treatments. Especially nice on a beautiful Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and a newspaper, but works almost anytime for me. Some people tend to label much of this as classical-lite, or classical music for the indie rock crowd, and I don't totally disagree but I really enjoy much of it. Good topic
smily_headphones1.gif

NP: Robert Rich - Seven Veils ("... seven rhythm-charged compositions with the exotic, sensual ambience of the Middle East. Blazingly original music and audiophile quality sound by one of the world's top electro-acoustic artists ...". Hey Mike, have you heard this album? It's a few years old but I find myself pulling it out more and more often as time goes by. Very soothing and captivating at the same time. And incredible sound quality. Not quite what you were asking about, but quite special nonetheless
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I will give that album a listen as soon as possible! Thanks alot!

Some of Brian Eno's stuff is really good, but I prefer other droney soundscape music to his. I am curious to see what his brother can do!

Selenography is my least favorite, something about it just didn't grab me like the others (I should give it another listen though). The latest album caught me though. I have them all on vinyl as well, and they do sound great! I had the pleasure of seeing them live several years ago, they played the Egon Schiele album, one of my favorite concerts of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back