Feb 15, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 22
I second Tchaikovsky 6th! Third movement is almost a triumphant metal song
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by malalol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second Tchaikovsky 6th! Third movement is almost a triumphant metal song
biggrin.gif

A rather pathetic triumphant metal song.
icon10.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 22
I am going to go ahead and stray from the beaten path for a second and recommend the band Elend. Though they are not strictly classical in the traditional sense, I, like you, am a metalhead, and I do not connect with a lot of classical music. I have tried a lot of stuff, but Elend does more for me than any classical piece I have heard. Perhaps one day, the light will come on, but until then, I implore you to check them out - especially The Umbersun and A World In Their Screams.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 22
Bartok, Stravinsky. Zappa-Yellow Shark (really). Villa Lobos etudes are mean if you're into legitimate guitar. Bartok (yeah I know I said it twice, but its the tech-metal of Legit).

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 22
Samuel Barber, Adagio for Strings

Originally the slow movement from an incomplete string quartet, later re-imagined for string orchestra. Championed by Toscanini, and, by the maestro's choice, played at his funeral. Also used many, many times by others to remember the deceased at funerals.

Also used by Oliver Stone in Platoon as the crushing backdrop to the burning of a Vietnamese village, while the surviving villagers stream away from the conflagration.

It doesn't get heavier than that.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #21 of 22
Give this a whirl, 9 minutes of pure bliss...
Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor for solo organ.
The bigger the organ the better, at least that's what the woman say where I'm from. Hehe.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 22
Yngwie is into Bach's litte brother or something. Love yngwie (Sweet spasmoid vibrato), but...

Legit wise, Bartok, Bartok, Bartok. Makes Spiral Architect look repetetive.

If you slay guitar, please make villa-lobos Etude #11 a metal tune (mmm...octaves).
Brower studies (Diary of a Madman is note for note, then extrpolate) are worth a pilfer.

Yellow shark (Zappa) befuddled a really good string quartet.

For quartal and quintal chords (stacked 4th's or 5th's), DeBussy. Be forwarned, smurf-level happiness.

Other than that, where's the backbeat???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back