Classical recommendations for metalheads - what are the most bombastic, dramatic, and heart-pounding pieces you know?
Jan 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 36
Other Russian showpieces:

Glinka's "Russian and Ludmilla" (Overture)
Tchaikovsky's Concerto for Violin in D major (especially the Finale)
Kabalevsky's "Colas Breugnon" (again, the Overture)
Other pieces from Mussorgsky (selections from "Pictures..")
Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" (look for act 3: "Russian Dance" or "Danse Russe")

et cetera..

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would expect that metalheads like virtuosity.

for violin virtuosity, you can take a listen to paganini, wieniawski, Sarasate
or pretty much most concertos.

Good call. I love Mendelssohn's violin concerto in Em, Opus 64. Very virtuostic and catchy too! Can anyone recommend what they consider the definitive recording of this piece?

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good call. I love Mendelssohn's violin concerto in Em, Opus 64. Very virtuostic and catchy too! Can anyone recommend what they consider the definitive recording of this piece?

I own over a dozen different versions of the Mendelssohn (Hilary Hahn, Itzhak Perlman, Menuhin, Heifetz, Grumiaux, Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, Sarah Chang, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Nigel Kennedy, Janine Jansen, Viktoria Mullova, etc...currently considering to obtain Nicola Benedetti's rendition) and I have to say IMO I've fallen in love with Hilary Hahn's (w/Oslo Philharmonic). A touch swifter than conventional versions, it combines a glittering, awe-inspiring technique and stunning accuracy with some of the purest depth and intensity that I've ever seen (or rather, heard) in even the top players. I would describe that her musical performances are extraordinarily natural, and burn with a kind of ice-blue fire, which fits my musical tendencies perfectly.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #20 of 36
The most dramatic and heart-pounding pieces are from Richard Wagner; 2 conductors died in the middle of conducting Tristan und Isolde, which shows how heart-pounding it is. I highly recommend you to check out this recording for an introduction to Richard Wagner:

Amazon.com: Wagner: Tristan und Isolde [Includes Bonus DVD]: Plácido Domingo, Nina Stemme, Matthew Rose, Mihoko Fujimura, Ian Bostridge, Olaf Bär, Jared Holt, Richard Wagner, Antonio Pappano, Royal Opera House Chorus and Orchestra Covent Garden: Musi

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #22 of 36
Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez. Since you like metal, you would love this. It's a concerto based around the guitar. Quite amazing stuff and by far my favourite classical piece. Be sure to listen to John Williams rendition of it.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's also one of my favorite violin concertos! I highly recommend Campoli's performance. I've heard a dozen and I think this is the best
biggrin.gif

URL: Campoli plays Mendelssohn, Bruch and Saint Saens

EDIT: Corrected the cover and the URL. I posted the mono version...

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #25 of 36
Umm...Bartok? All of it. Seriously. Music to axe murder by.

Also Villa-Lobos Etudes (solo guitar) are surprizingly un-etude-like.

Finally, Zappa's Yellow Shark is a serious modern music album (I remeber reading it spent months on the classical charts). Very stravinsky-esque.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimlyLit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm...Bartok? All of it. Seriously. Music to axe murder by.

Also Villa-Lobos Etudes (solo guitar) are surprizingly un-etude-like.

Finally, Zappa's Yellow Shark is a serious modern music album (I remeber reading it spent months on the classical charts). Very stravinsky-esque.

X2 this guy has excellent taste, although Yellow Shark is quite demented and not "very metal"

A personal favourite: J.S. Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D-minor, especially an orchestral version but extremely powerful and grandiose either way.

Some great recommendations on this thread. I love head-fi.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 36
Try:

Mahler - Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection (Gilbert Kaplan / Wiener Philharmoniker Version)
Mahler - Symphony No. 6 in A Minor "Tragic" (Tilson Thomas Version)
Liszt - Piano Sonata in B Minor (Martha Argerich Version)
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 (Carlos Kleiber Version)
Stravinsky - Rite Of Spring (Gergiev Version)
Paganini - 24 Caprices (Itzhak Perlman Version)
Bach - Violin Concertos (Hillary Hahn)

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 36
Shastikovich Symphony 5, or any of his works really...
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D Major
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 in B-flat Minor
Tchaikovsky Romeo and Juliet
Vitalli Chaconne
Mendelssohn Violin Concerto E minor
Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole
Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition (Listen to the orchestral version)
Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain
Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade
ANY Mahler
Brahms Symphonies 1 and 4
Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor
Elgar Cello Concerto in E minor
Dvorak Cello Concerto in B minor
Dvorak Violin Concerto in A minor
Sibelius Violin Concerto in D minor
Verdi's Forza Del Destino

I really like minor...=p

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xuster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like minor...=p

Minor keys (scales) are used a lot in heavy metal music so your preference fits this thread well.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 36
Some great suggestions. I would also suggest the following:

Suites for Military Band (1 and 2) with Fennell and Cleveland Winds
Verdi's Requiem (already mentioned, but this has so many bombastic parts)
Khachaturian: Gayeneh and Masquarade Suites
Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead/Symphonic Dances Ashkenazy - Not sure how you would like this one, but might fit
Saint Saens: Danse Macabre and Africa
Strauss (Richard): Alpine Symphony
Suppe/Auber: Overtures on Mercury (superb group of shorter pieces and outstanding performance)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back