Classical Recomendations
May 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

TDFiend

Head-Fier
Hello there i was wondering if some of you could recomend me some classical music. I dont know where to start really it is so confusing. I know I dont like mozart or bethoven. I do like bach though and I like orchestras and symphonies with the french horns. relaxing stuff is always great.

thanks alot

May 7, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 48
To appreciate classical music you have to appreciate the composer.

The only reason I don't appreciate Mozart or Beethoven as much is because of how limited they were by their pasts.

If you want, in my opinion, the most well-rounded, brilliant, and godly composer to ever grace the earth, listen to Scriabin. He understood that music was more than just notes, that, like art, there is something BENEATH the frequencies that allows for true expression.

If you like Bach, try pianist Glenn Gould. He is Bach's reincarnate.

If you want a smattering, get a "Horowitz's Best" type cd. He pretty much covers all the basics.

Also obviously Chopin, that's a given. Check out his Scherzo's, they are my favorite.

May 7, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 48
thanks i like baroque any specific recomendations?
also i might like some mozart or bethoven but i dont like the really well known stuff that you hear all the time you know like in movies or shows etc...

i like symphonies alot too

May 7, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0k1ngs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To appreciate classical music you have to appreciate the composer.

The only reason I don't appreciate Mozart or Beethoven as much is because of how limited they were by their pasts.

If you want, in my opinion, the most well-rounded, brilliant, and godly composer to ever grace the earth, listen to Scriabin. He understood that music was more than just notes, that, like art, there is something BENEATH the frequencies that allows for true expression.

If you like Bach, try pianist Glenn Gould. He is Bach's reincarnate.

If you want a smattering, get a "Horowitz's Best" type cd. He pretty much covers all the basics.

Also obviously Chopin, that's a given. Check out his Scherzo's, they are my favorite.

If you can't appreciate Mozart and Beethoven, the fault isn't their limited past but your limited present.

May 7, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDFiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also i might like some mozart or bethoven but i dont like the really well known stuff that you hear all the time you know like in movies or shows etc...

Try Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, Pachelbel's Canon, Bach's Air on a G string and Albinoni's Adagio. That's all easy listening. when you decide to get serious, then ask again.

May 7, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDFiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have no heart if you don't like Mozart's Requiem or his Clarinet Concerto... also if you don't like Beethoven's 9th, 7th, and 5th symphonies...

May 7, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Limitations? I think stringed instruments sacrificed alot when steel strings and the French bow was invented, not that they're a de-provement, just mo
biggrin.gif

I think, the reason you like Bach is because famous adagio's and big symphony's bore you. That's why alot of rock lovers in my school likes "some" Bach choral works and Vivaldi pieces, especially when played on period instruments.

I would almost agree with twokins about GG if he put more enthusiasm into the WTC (which the recordings are in its right, scholary and bright than many other's)

May 7, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't appreciate Mozart and Beethoven, the fault isn't their limited past but your limited present.

And what "present" would that be, since you can so easily speak on my behalf?

Mozart was a court monkey. Beethoven was a constrained artist. Mozart studied profusely under Haydn, and it shows to a RIDICULOUS amount. Beethoven composed for the sake of composing, and what made him popular is his exceptional use of STANDARD convention. He introduced nothing new, and after hearing revolutionaries who expounded upon the "basics" that these men perfected, going back undoubtedly has its limitations.

It isn't the notes that gives genius musicians their genius. It is their minds. It is not the ink on the paper or the words that makes Whitman a poetic genius, its his MIND. These men had great minds, but fall FAR short of "untouchable genius."

May 7, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 48
My standards are ridiculously high because of my OWN past. The only person who has ever met my expectations was Scriabin... and he died after going insane attempting to compose a symphony that, coupled with specific colors produced by a "color organ", specific scents, dancing, and his own poetry about how he could see what God saw, would bring about the end of the world.

May 7, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

And what "present" would that be, since you can so easily speak on my behalf?

Mozart was a court monkey. Beethoven was a constrained artist. Mozart studied profusely under Haydn, and it shows to a RIDICULOUS amount. Beethoven composed for the sake of composing, and what made him popular is his exceptional use of STANDARD convention. He introduced nothing new, and after hearing revolutionaries who expounded upon the "basics" that these men perfected, going back undoubtedly has its limitations.

It isn't the notes that gives genius musicians their genius. It is their minds. It is not the ink on the paper or the words that makes Whitman a poetic genius, its his MIND. These men had great minds, but fall FAR short of "untouchable genius."

Either you're trolling, which possibility I do not immediately discount, or you're not going to be swayed. I will say this, though: no matter how high your standards are, they do not surpass Mozart and Beethoven. Even Richard Wagner, whose ego was the stuff of legend, bowed before their respective genii. To wit: "I believe in God, Mozart and Beethoven, and likewise their disciples and apostles[...]"

High praise, indeed, when you consider Richard Wagner's opinion of himself.

May 7, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either you're trolling, which possibility I do not immediately discount, or you're not going to be swayed. I will say this, though: no matter how high your standards are, they do not surpass Mozart and Beethoven. Even Richard Wagner, whose ego was the stuff of legend, bowed before their respective genii. To wit: "I believe in God, Mozart and Beethoven, and likewise their disciples and apostles[...]"

Since when is having an opinion trolling? I'm not trying to start drama for the sake of it, but replying to an insult... so, isn't HE trolling?:

You should visit some video game forums before you go around throwing that "troll" word around so quickly.

That is exactly the problem I have with this type of classical music and society in general. It requires an intellect to appreciate, and when you deal with these levels of intellect, people feel this need to make their opinion universal.

I stated my opinion, someone had a problem with it, insults me for not agreeing with a majority, then I am the one who gets "blamed" for defending an opinion. (most likely due to my relative newness to the forums and post count)

I almost feel like I need to be a bigot and throw around some credentials as to my former background and training just to be taken seriously... and sadly, because I act human as well, I will if need be to defend my position.

If I were introduced to you as to who I truly am instead of this little avatar on the internet, sadly I feel like my opinion would make you all think twice before discounting me.

May 7, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not comparing anything but my mindset and criteria as to what I judge these artists, and if that constitutes use of the word "ego"... then greater meanings of the word will substantially lose their value (and make Wagner not look like such a bad guy in his own self-importance)

You say "won't be swayed" but isn't that the innate beauty of having an opinion? The fact that you can feel comfortable to express your mindset without worrying about people attempting to "convert" you?

This guy wanted opinions on classical music, I give him some, and because I do not associate with a majority (not out of ignorance mind you, but profound experience) I get insulted and tagged a "troll."

They were just men...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back