Classical? Rap? Jazz?
Jan 29, 2006 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

J W

500+ Head-Fier
So I've been reading and reading old posts that sort of relate to my situation. Heck, I've become more addicted to reading these forums than I have to listening to the actual music.

Anyways, here is my problem. My budget started out at $150...only to go up to $250-300. I already have a go-vibe, which I use with my old sennheiser 497s and 280s. I am mainly looking for something that will handle a variety of music--mostly classical, rap, and jazz. I'm not sure If I'd be better off getting something that can handle all the genres of music or if I should get two sets of headphones.

So far, these are what I'm looking at:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (Good for Rap)
AKG K501 (Good for classical?)
Sennheiser HD25 (I like the portability...I'd probably get these and a "full size," although I would have to stretch the ole budget...argh)
Sennheiser 580s

Would I be better off getting a couple of different pairs for my various preferences in music? Or is there anything that could handle everything by itself? How would the hd25 compare with IEMs?

Sorry for the newb questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 4
I have 650s, which sound like the 580s, and the can's perform well for classical, jazz and what little rap i throw at it.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Personally I think the HD580 would fit the bill... it's probably the most versatile headphone able to handle the three genres you mentioned. I can tell you from experience that the K501 is completely out when it comes to rap... don't even bother, you'd just be wasting your money. Classical/jazz it's great if you can handle the lack of low bass.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 4
I guess I'll just do what everyone seems to do...buy and resell until I find what I'm looking for...

580 looks like a good starting point.

Might as well try a pair of IEMs while I'm at it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back